Welcome to episode #164 of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by http://gtex.org.uk/,
I am your host, Simone Vincenzi, The Experts Strategist, and this is the podcast for experts who want to become the ultimate authority in their niche while making an impact in the world.
Today I have the pleasure to Interview our GTeX Lifetime Member Dilys Sillah
Dilys Sillah is the founder of a charity called ‘Who Will Hear My Cry’ (WWHMC), a charity that raises awareness of rape, child abuse and domestic violence in England and in Ghana.
In this live coaching session, we talk about
- How to structure an event to optimise sales
- How to use the application close effectively for maximum conversion
Connect with Dilys Sillah
If you want to make 6 figures presentations and become awesome at Selling From The Stage without compromising your integrity I have created The Ultimate Selling From Stage Checklist.
The most comprehensive checklist to create a pitch that sells without being a douchebag.
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ
Also, make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
– Hello, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another special episode of Explode Your Expert Business Show. Today, I’m here with the one and only, our gorgeous Delicia. How’re you doing? Well, you are, you are, even if you don’t feel you are. So Delicia, before we get started, why don’t you introduce yourself and then we can crack on.
– Okay, so my name is Delicia, and I am an author and a speaker, so I’m the author of the book How to Find the Man of Your Dreams and Not Your Nightmares. And I also coach. So, I worked a life coach, but looking at the emotional independence, so basically helping people to be able to make decisions about their life from a place of authority, confidence, rather than a place of bad experiences that will kind of determine the kind of life choices they choose to make.
– Brilliant. And also you are running an amazing charity as well.
– Yeah. Yes, I run a charity called Who or Him I Cry, so we raise awareness on rape, child abuse and domestic violence. And that’s going through a rework as well, actually. I’ve had this whole thing going over the last month of just changing my life and different elements of it, and the charity is one of them, where we really did want the concentrate more on the relationship side of things. Healthy relationships, which kind of culminates into some of the areas that we work in at at now. So, that’s really what I have been up to and what I do.
– Brilliant, fantastic. So, guys, I have to make sure you connect with Delicia, particular if you are in the relationship field, then you will love to support her charity and also the work that she does. Now, today, we are looking at helping you out, to make more money from your events, for your seminars, and in particular you mention about attracting, getting the right people to move on with you
– and to take the next step with you. So, can you give us a bit of background of what, give me a bit of context of what is the seminar you’re talking about, because your pitch and your sales strategy will change change depending from if you’re if this is your own event, if you are speaking at someone else’s event. If this is a webinar and a podcast, so the context will determine the strategy that we’re going the create.
– Yeah. So, one of the things that I started doing from January. This is what Shock called rewriting history, which I absolutely love, and basically this workshop is to help people look back and process map things that they have done, whether it’s to do with work, relationships, career, but hasn’t served them. So, I kind of help people to identify the common patterns that keep making them end up in the same place, and sometimes it can be so vast and so deep as to why those things keep going on. It can be quite profound, so the first one that I did in January. I mean, I had people disclosing all sorts of things, as to what had kind of stopped them from moving forward in different areas, in a way that they would like to. So, from those workshops, what I would really like to do and you know, one of the things people have complained about is that they’re too short. So, it’s like, it’s from one to five. And I guess there is a, there is some method to that madness. For one, the price would be a lot more, it was for a full day. But it touches on so many different areas, that I think, working with people one on one after the workshop would be very helpful. I think for both of us. So, it’s really getting people to be able to take that next step so that we can work together as you know, client and coach.
– That’s brilliant, so they are coming to your half day. So they are coming to you, and what’s the price point of thaT?
– It was 25 pounds, which is really, I mean gosh, I even provide refreshments, I mean who does that?
– Yep, that’s–
– So, yeah, it really is is a short, shortish day, there’s quite a lot packed into it, but it’s kinda, you know, it starts to kind of build a community around it as well. So, I’ve been asked to, have everyone who has been to the Rewriting History workshop to join together, I had a Rewriting History Spa Weekend Break, in June, which was another really good event. But just to bring people together, woops, just to bring people together.
– Perfect. I get the model. So, the feedback was, how was the feedback about the content of the event, they were all happy about giving it, they were all whole happy about that, there was a–
– Definitely, yeah.
– Okay, perfect.
– I had great feedback, the main thing was, it’s to short, and I’m like, “Well…”
– Okay, good, that’s a good thing. That’s a very good thing. Because then they are saying, “I want more.” So that’s the great thing when you say it’s too short, I would love this to be longer. Means that okay, great, so now you can pay.
– Right, so did you, what was your process to get them as a one to one client, during the event, during and after the event?
– During the, it was not so much during the event, I kind of said it at the beginning, but there would be an opportunity for us to work one-on-one, this is really to showcase, just to touch on, really to give back an overview for themselves to see what it is that they would need to be able to move things forward. So, at the end of it I did say, you know that there’s a special price, I don’t really like to talk about the price itself, and I just said if you want, if you’re interested on one-on-one, then lets talk and you know, take it from there.
– And then what happened when you say that?
– I do have some inquiries. Um, again, I’ve kinda revamped a lot of things around the coaching, even price wise. And I think different models that are more bespoke as opposed to having a price for this and that. I think really, when I look at the kind of clients I’m having or what they’re presenting, I feel more comfortable in tailoring it to the individual, so that I haven’t had the opportunity to do, because as I said, I’ve only done this, the whole stripping away thing over the last four weeks. So, this is what I would be introducing the my next one, why I think this would be great do this now.
– Okay, when you are mentioning when you were offering the option of that there was going the be an opportunity the work one-to-one together, did the have to, did they know the price, did they know the programme roughly, did they know, did they have like a sales form to fill up, or an application form to fill up.
– No, they didn’t. All they had was the evaluation form for the actual workshop and how they found it.
– That’s brilliant. So, there are few things that already I can see that will increase your conversion. And one is to ask for the money That’s it.
– That’s it, the first one. Because they will never be as hot as they are when they are in the room and they’ve just been through the entire workshop. Now, if you are, if you are the moment they leave the room, is the moment where life happens, and then you have no more control of their attention. The great thing about workshop is that all their attention and their focus is on you. Therefore, the have only one blind decision, which is you. And that’s why you can do two things. You can decide and test two things. One is to make a special offer on the day, which you’re mentioning this is the programme, So this is the thing, when you’re doing special offer on the day, you cannot create something bespoke.
– You need this is the programme, this is how it works, this is the offer. If you join today, this is the discount, and these are the bonuses that you will get.
– So, this model doesn’t allow you to create something bespoke. If you’re going down the bespoke model, then the thing you can do is too have an application form, so still you have to mention a price range, and you still have too mention what’s going to be an average steps?
– So, we are going to work on this, this, this and that. Because you will find that even if it is bespoke, some people, they are always looking for the same things.
– So you are tapping into the things that you know people will want anyway. And then you will say depending you need of this, then there will be different price range starting from this one and going up to this one.
– So, now, they have an idea of what the price range is going too be, so that will qualify, you will not get time wasters, basically.
– Sure, yeah.
– But at the same time, if you mention that the first one, the first prize, and you create some contrast between the range that you offer, then you will see also that you have a much higher value as well.
– So that’s why it’s important when you’re doing an application clause, it’s easier too mention now the package would range from 2,000 to 10,000 or 5,000, whatever is going to be the new price range that you are going to work on. But then you will say, and then based on a conversation that we will have once you apply, then we will decide what package is the best for you, and what payment options are the best for you.
– So now in this way, I’m listening, and I feel, well, there are payment options, okay, that might feel a bit more affordable. And I’m saying, I’m not making a payment right now I’m filling up an application form.
– And you will say that you have a deal for people that to have signed application from right now.
– Because you want them not to say, “Oh yeah, leave me the application form and I’ll send it to you.”
– Yep! Mhm, makes sense.
– When someone’s I often speak even at the events, I got the application form, and they will say, “Oh let me, I don’t have time right now.” I say, “Well, if you don’t fill up the application form right now, I will not be able to give you the deal I’m give the other people.” Because I don’t want too chase.
– Yeah, which is fairly often, and yeah, which I don’t to chase, either.
– Exactly. And I might be the chase for payment.
– Yeah, exactly, but not fro a new client.
– But not for an application form, that’s different, and will also be a sign of their commitment there and then. So this is in my opinion ne of the ways that you can immediately get the clients, there and then. And there are then two ways in which you can approach once you have the application form done. One is to have the sales conversation there and then. So let’s say the workshop finishes at five, you give yourself from five to six, or five to seven to then have a like a waiting list and people will wait for their turn for their call for their meeting with you. If you are the only one doing it, I would not recommend that, because you know someone
– Two hours and sometimes, you are going into such deep subjects, that not a conversation sometime, but people will open up or cry and then there are the other people are waiting in the back. It doesn’t create a safe environment, so my recommendation is then to say that the calls need to be done within 48 hours.
– ‘Cause you need still to give them a time limit otherwise two months later, they are still there.
– Yeah. That’s true.
– So that’s about the process. How does it sound to you so far if you have too put this process in place?
– No, it sounds very good. Because I’ve already seen what happens when that process isn’t in place. Especially with the timeline. So for example, I’ve had clients in the past, where on the contract, and it’s something that I’m doing with clients moving forward that there was going to be a cut-off point, because I’ve taken your money, I don’t want it to be with me forever and ever amen, because you’re not focused on your coaching, so, I’m realising, or I’ve realised that having that time scale defined is crucial, whether it’s in the application process, or whether even after you’ve signed to work with me. Then I would expect that your coaching should be done within a definite period of time, unless of course you’re under some kind of retainer, and you can contact me as and when you like. Because I don’t feel good knowing that you’ve paid X amount of money and you haven’t finished your coaching, it’s not great for me. So yeah, definitely, I can see the value in what you’re saying.
– Fantastic, and I feel that it is also very aligned, with the way, knowing you, it’s very aligned with the way you work with the people, and the space that you create for them, so I think that this will be a better solution than a get-it-now clause, which most of the time is very masculine and which works,
– Some people works for some people, and not for others. So you think the application
– Clause will work very well as a character. Because it becomes a conversation.
– It is very conversational. It’s less buy now, buy now, buy now, buy now!
– Yeah, yeah. And my area oof work is quite emotional, so I need to also be, be sensitive to that. So you are absolutely right.
– So now there are a few things that we still need to put in place. So this, remember that, every time you do an event, before the event, you will have printed your applications. So when you’re making the page, then yourself or someone else in the room, if you have someone helping you out during the event, it’s better if you have someone else. Because it takes like the moment you give away the form, it takes you from perceptionally speaking, from speaker to assistant.
– And at the end of the day, it’s a perception game here. Now, if there are five people in the room. That’s fine, you will not need an assistant, and it doesn’t create a lack of allure. Actually would be weird if you have an assistant for five people, given the form. But it can work. If you have a room with 15-20 people, 30 people, 50 people, then at this point, it’s better to have someone else. Because then you can be focused on, you know,
– saying what the programme
– is about, how the application works, what the process is, instead of shuffling with papers and no, no, let me go back, just give me a second, I’ll go back and take my paper… It all breaks
– the conversation that you’re having with them.
– And then there are a few things as well. Do you, so you said that you mention at the beginning that there is an option to work with you.
– How do you say it?
– I say it very much like, I will go through what they’re gonna be experiencing throughout the day, and I say it’s obviously gonna throw up a few things foo the people in the room, but don’t be too surprise if you don’t get all your answers now, because you won’t. It is only four hours for looking at stuff that has gone over for an average of at least 25 years. So, therefore, needing that extra time, I am available to do one-on-one coaching with you as a result for whatever shows up for you from this course. So I kind of just put it out there.
– That’s brilliant.
– Just too manage the expectation that you are not going to get all the answers here, you know.
– That’s perfect and is very beautifully said. So from now on, add as well that at the end, you will give out application forms for people to apply on the coaching one-to-one, when they see the value that they receive from the workshop.
– Correct, yes, that would be good.
– Because then in the back of their mind, they, it doesn’t come as a surprise.
– You already mentioned there’s going to be an application form for this, so when you give out the application form, it doesn’t create any awkwardness.
– Yes, yes.
– Particularly because you’re running a small environment.
– Yeah. I think that’s really helpful.
– Perfect, and then now, is time for the close. What do you think are some of the the things that your clients that you work with, that they’re constantly need, they’re constantly looking for.
– I think it would be to understand why they feel that they have failed at certain things and a lot of them feel quite stagnant. But they’re repeating the same things over and over again, but then they’re quite unaware as to why. But I also feel that they’re very unaware of how much control they have of not repeating those same mistakes. To just helping them to kind of come out of themselves. And holding a mirror up and said, okay, I did da da da da, okay, I understand this is the reason why I did it, so I need to deal with the reason. What a lot of what I find that people are doing, is looking at the action. How do they stop the action without going back? And lucky there is a reason as to why you respond in this way, or there’s a reason why you know you speak in this way, and therefore, let’s look at the reason. Stop looking at the words that are coming out of your mouth, or the act, the physical actions that you’re taking. That you’re being responsible for. Let’s look behind that. And I think that it’s the looking behind that a lot of them have needed to kind of find out.
– And what is it that they want to have? In terms of what is, because what you’re describing right now is important because it’s part of the process. But as human beings, we don’t want the process, we want the result.
– And we justify the process together is all that we want, right? So, what are the results that they want, what is the opposite of the situation where they are in?
– I think control. What, ultimately, what they’re looking for is control. I think they want to be in control of whatever situation it is that throws up for them. Those issues that are throwing up for them. They want to be the ones who determine how their lives plays out, as opposed to life playing them, if that makes sense?
– Perfect, so one is control. Brilliant. What else do they want?
– Fulfilment. I think they just want the be happier within themselves.
– Okay, and one more thing.
– Control, fulfilment, and validation. I think a lot of them don’t feel valued. They don’t sere their worth, I think it would be part of the main things, they really do not see the importance of who they are.
– So, I want you too write those three things down. If you can find somewhere to write. Because, you are looking at, you said, control, fulfilment, and knowing their worth.
– So, when you’re doing an application clause, as well, but even when you’re doing any other types of clause, it’s always really important to focus on what they said they are going to get, rather than the process.
– Because, at the end of the day, as long as you’re gonna give me the results that you want, and you’re not getting me to do something that is illegal or I’m not really comfortable, I’m gonna be fine, I’m gonna trust you that you know your stuff. So when you’re making the application clause, I want you to re-emphasize, that by working with you, now they’ve started a process, and if they want to, in their life, to have sustainable and a sustainable way to feel in control, to be fulfilled, and also to understand and know their worth, so that they can apply for better opportunities, they can have a better career, they can have a better business. So now, you gotta bring it in a tangible way, right? Because you know, control, fulfilment, is what we want emotionally. But now we have to take it a step further and justify it physically.
– Mhm, yes.
– When you are doing the application, you’re going to say, by working with me one-to-one, you will be able to feel in control, to be fulfilled, and to fully and understand your worth so that… You can have a better relationship with yourself, so that you can apply for better job opportunities, have a better business. So these other things that they want physically, so that then, now we will make it what is it that they feel emotionally, will make them feel real. At the end oof day, we are human being, and we respond to material things.
– And then you are going too segue into now because of the programmes I create are bespoke, and that’s how I’m different from everyone else. So then you’re going to create a comparison there.
– Saying a lot of other people would just give you an off-the-shelf programme, that’s not the way I work.
– So now you’re making a statement, that makes it even more attractive. Because it means oh wow, she knows her stuff.
– And the way I work, I don’t believe in off-the-shelf programmes, I’m going to, I work in the bespoke way. I’m going to ocreate a path, which is perfect for you. And this is why, to work together, I need you to fill up an application form. Because I said, this is the beginning of the journey, you need the complete this journey, if you want to feel in control, too feel fulfilled. And to fully value your worth. And this is a process, and I want to be with you in this process. So fill up the application form, and then we are going to discuss how we can work together. Now, packages that, different package are run, and they range from this price to this price. But then, the reason why I’m also giving you an application form, so then we can discuss what is the best package for you, and what is the best option for you. As well as what is the best payment option.
– Yep. Mhm.
– And then you will give them time to fill out the application form. Everything we hear is recorded, so then you can listen to other words, I don’t want you to use my words. I want you to understand the concept behind this,
– No, I get it, completely.
– and then make it yours. Because at the end,
– You know what–
– I’m just putting down like a little point, but I get it, completely, it’s already working in my head. Believe me.
– Brilliant, fantastic.
– It’s really, it’s really working. I’m thinking I’ve got my next event that I’m planning in September, and this has come at the right time. And it’s something that I also would feel very comfortable, and you’re right, you do know me, and it’s the truth, so it makes it easier to come out of my mouth, you know me, if it’s not true, if it’s not me, it ain’t happening.
– But saying that it’s bespoken, it’s tailored, I was already on that path. This block thing is not working, I have people that present some very deep issues for me. Like, there’s a lady that I’m gonna be working with, she can hardly leave the house because her depression, however, when she attended one of my workshops, she found a lot of value in it, and somebody has referred her to me, and I hope to be working with her. That’s very different from somebody coming to me and saying, “Look, I’ve just split up with my boyfriend and I’m feeling a little bit dadadadada, and I just need some confidence.” They are two completely different things.
– So the fact that you’re looking for nine sessions each, I shouldn’t be charging the same price. Cause I know that I’m gonna have to work very hard with this other person, and I would be working very differently, put it this way, I’m gonna be pulling from different skill sets, so it takes more out of me to work here than to work there.
– And I think that should be reflective. So, I get you completely.
– Fantastic. So, then when you’re making the call to action, too give them to fill out the application form, give them time. Give them at least five, six minutes to fill it up. Don’t make it too long, maximum one page front and back, A4 or even one page A4.
– So then they can finish it in about five, 10 minutes. For the filing up the application form. And as well, you don’t want to do it as a last thing. If you’re using feedback form, that’s one of the reasons you don’t see feedbacks from the GTEX trainings. Because the last thing thing that we do is a call to action.
– So, what happens if you do the feedback form and the application form at the same time, now they are confused.
– And I’ve seen this doing, I’m saying this because it’s a mistake that can happen, it’s very easy, I’ve made this mistake, a lot of people I’m seeing, they make. Because they’re like, “Okay, here’s the application form, here’s the feedback form, fill them up.” So now, I’m not anymore in buying mode, I am in giving you feedback about your event. So now my brain is thinking about what went well, what can improve.
– Yes exactly.
– And now I’m thinking about what we can improve, and now I gotta buy from you, so. You’re actually taking the buyer away from the buying process.
– Very true.
– So, if you have a break in between, then you can, that’s a good moment to do the application form.
– So then, let’s say that two hours in, you have a break. Then at that point, you can position, fill out the application. Because at that point, they already have two hours of value, so they will have understood. If you do it over the three hours mark, it’s even better, because they have more value, but don’t leave it as the last thing, if you’re using the feedback forms.
– Or otherwise, just completely drop the feedback forms, and we do the application, and then send them a feedback form via email or if that’s important for you. So these are the things that I’m sure that if you do them with your personality, your charisma, the way you speak and the product that you have. You’re gonna crush it, with this part.
– I hope so
– I’m sure, I’m sure you will. Because what was missing, you were doing the right thing, it was just part of the process missing. Because you are one of these very lucky people, that you are very attractive. Which means that
– Thank you.
– Your, people will see you, and somehow they want to start to have a conversation with you, they will follow what you said, and you know that.
– You know that.
– You are a natural leader.
– I should be a politician.
– Yeah! One of the good ones. But it’s true, if you think about the work that you’ve been able to do with your charity in just a few years, people follow what you say, for all a bunch of different reasons, and that’s something that is a really difficult to develop. Or like, you have it–
– Or you don’t
– If you don’t have it, you can train it really hard, but you are in the lucky minority of people that someone will see you, will trust you immediately, and then will follow what you say. So then, that’s why I’m just putting these processes in place. You are more focused on the sales process to happen, and that’s it. Cool. I think we’re done then.
– Brilliant. That was excellent.
– What was the biggest value for you in this conversation?
– I think, the closing process. Because I’ve done everything up too that point, which is the most important bit, the closing process. How do I couch it in a way that is done with integrity, is sincere, and actually takes me too the next step. So, that’s great for me.
– It’s been a great call.
– Thank you.
– And I will talk to you soon.
– Thank you very much.
– You are welcome. Ladies and gentlemen.
– Thanks again!
– Ladies and gentlemen, thank you very much for listening or watching, and make sure you subscribe too the show, if you haven’t subscribed yet, and if you want me to help you with your pitch, and selling from the stage, just click the application form below, and we will jump on a call with our team, and we will see how we can help you turn your event into cash. I’ll see you next time! Bye!