Welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by http://gtex.org.uk/,
I am your host, Simone Vincenzi, The Experts Strategist, and this is the podcast for experts who want to become the ultimate authority in their niche while making an impact in the world.
Do you want to create your best quarter yet? Then join us in our SALES MASTERY INTENSIVE MENTORING PROGRAM where we will teach you all you need to get more clients and make more money in your business while serving your highest calling
Today I have the pleasure to Interview Caroline Micallef Wragg
With over 27 years experience in international marketing, communications and sales, Caroline Beasley owner of the Starflower Company Ltd is a marketer with a difference! I went back to my roots in Marketing and Sales after working on finding my own business path and life purpose.
The difference in how I work is, it’s a holistic approach to marketing and sales, helping businesses and their leaders get to the core of what’s important and aligning with the right clients that buy from you. We have a system called “Rev up..” and by applying our unique mapping systems together with hard core strategic marketing and sales solutions, clients are getting awesome results. I love the excitement when clients get their aha and winning moments and of course, doubling and tripling their incomes too!
In this episode, we talk about
- Strategic Marketing is an integral part of your business growth infrastructure and not to be confused with social media marketing.
- In a busy marketplace, learn how to attract the right buyers to you and your business.
- How to create holistic marketing campaigns
Connect with Caroline Micallef Wragg
Facebook Group: “Nuts about Marketing Jelly about Sales”
To become a GTeX Member, Apply here:
If you want to make 6 figures presentations and become awesome at Selling From The Stage without compromising your integrity I have created The Ultimate Selling From Stage Checklist.
The most comprehensive checklist to create a pitch that sell without being a douchebag.
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ
Also, make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
– Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz Show. Today, I’m here with the one and only, Caroline Micallef Wragg. How you doing, Caroline?
– Hello! I’m absolutely fabulous. Thank you for inviting me to this show today. I’m looking forward to sharing some great things.
– It is my pleasure. It’s so weird to introduce you as Caroline Micallef Wragg because I’ve been knowing you as Caroline Beasley since I’ve met you, and few weeks ago something happened.
– Yeah. Bit of a big day, bit of a big wedding day.
– Bit of a big wedding day. How was the wedding?
– It was absolutely incredible. I felt like a queen. It was a beautiful, beautiful day. We are very, very happy. Very blessed to be having a second time ’round being asked to be married, so it’s beautiful just beautiful. So we’re very happy.
– What was the biggest highlight of the wedding?
– I think the biggest highlight was actually arriving in the church and being next to my husband-to-be, being next to Clive. I was shaking like a leaf, and then grabbing hold of his hand so tight, I thought he was gonna tell me, “Oh my God “You’re squeezing my hand so tight” but I just wanted to get to him, and just being there and being with all the family, and the friends, and the celebrations. The whole thing was absolutely incredible. I want to do it all again.
– Did you keep him wait or… Or did you arrive on time?
– I was on time, but only about ten minutes.
– Okay. That’s fine. ‘Cause I remember when I got married, Lovelda arrived about 30 minutes late or something like that because they were doing some photos and taking some pictures. I was a wreck. I was super nervous. I was walking up and down anyway we are not here to talk about weddings. You’re here to talk about sales you’re here to talk about marketing. You had a long career in sales and marketing that was your background before you started your business. Tell us a bit more about your background and what led you to do what you’re doing right now.
– Okay well it’s very interesting, how long have we got? I think we’ve only got a short time. Well I’ve always been in the field of international marketing. My background’s in the logistics, transport and logistics and international crate forwarding industry. So that’s what I did for 25 years. And I absolutely loved it. I was head of marketing communications for big logistics organisations. It took me abroad, it took me all round the country I absolutely loved it. And I know I came out of that and I worked for a sales company and I got the taste for selling. And I was very good at it. We were selling all this broadcasting equipment and audio marketing equipment and messages on phones and all of those. And they’d come to me and they’d say did you do one out of three today? And I’d say no I’ve sold all three. And they’d come to me and say, wow how did you do? Well because I approach it from a marketing perspective and look at it with different eyes. What happened back in 2009 bit of a sort of a crisis the recession had hit and I’d come out of what I was doing. And I took a look around and I totally changed career had a bit of a what you call an aside into the health and wellbeing industry. And that sort of transformed my life because it made me look at things with different eyes. And I got involved with a health and wellbeing company selling natural products, building a team, growing a network of people. And that’s where I met my now husband so we have a laugh and say we met online but it was in a very different way.
– It wasn’t Tinder.
– No. So that was quite funny, but we laugh about the stories and there’s some red wine involved in that. But I won’t go there. So moving forward you have conversations as you do at home about your career and what you want to do and, do you go back into the industry you know? And because it was a sort of a very difficult time and I thought I had a lot of learning to do and I needed to find myself and find my own purpose. So I went back to college and I trained as a holistic therapist which you might think what on earth has that got to do with marketing?
– But it was sort of within the I want to help people and how can I connect helping people with healthy products to actually physically helping people? What happened? You can’t take the marketing out of the girl. You can’t take it out when it’s ingrained into you and you’ve had such great results. But what happened was I’d created these amazing wellness programmes for people. And I attracted a lot of corporate clients that came to me. And they were with me for two and a half hours, three hours, it’s like oh my god. And Klaus said we can’t carry on doing that. But what happened was some of these clients actually came to me and said, if it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have been able to bring on these 30,000, 40,000, 50,000 clients. I’m thinking oh my god what am I doing? And it was through the consultation process I was giving them when we sat down had a chat and we went through the programme, went through the process even though there was hands on treatment I was actually giving them business advice, business support from the experiences that I’ve got. And the word kept coming back, marketing Caroline marketing so I invested in coaches I invested in mentors and through the process it came out you’re marketing, you’re sales, this, you’re not going to be doing that I’m like what is going on here? What am I gonna do? And do you know Simone, it was really bizarre I never ever thought that I could run my own marketing business.
– Why not?
– I thought something that I had to do when I was employed, I don’t know it was a mind set thing maybe something stopping me. But the minute I said yes I’m gonna do it my RevUp programme was born and the rest is history. So that’s what led me to do what I’m dong now and the first client that I took on board three months after I launched tripled his income in three weeks.
– Wow, now with this now we can go, but I have another question before we go into the detail what a fascinating story. I think everyone that is listening that maybe struggle to find their path or maybe they just went down the one direction just to go back full circle then they will see themself in this journey.
– [Caroline] Absolutely.
– I have another question for you. I know that what we do as well in our spare time they’re the things that we are passionate about they influence us as human being as business owners for example I play basketball it’s a huge team sport that’s why GTechS is all about doing things together getting physically together. And we believe that together we can achieve more than by ourselves and basketball definitely influenced me a lot. Or there is the music on this side which is about the creative expression. Is there something that you do on the side that you’re really passionate about that’s not business related but you’ve found that influenced you or is influencing you as a human being?
– Yes. I am a bit of a workaholic, so it’s hard–
– Yeah me too we are in the same boat.
– I love meeting people and I love connecting people I’m a bit of a networking queen so I love getting out there. But I didn’t really have a hobby as such I love reading I love listening to things and I love movies and I love my mountain bike. That’s something like to enjoy although the past ten years or so I haven’t been very active but health has definitely been a massive massive influencer for me. Having experienced a few very debilitated health issues that have prevented me from moving forward has enabled me to look at things with different eyes. And I would say having time out with family that’s very precious to me coming from a Middle Eastern family, you know Mediterranean lifestyle we like to get together, we like our food so it all gears around that. But just interestingly that you’ve said that quite recently my daughter who is very active took me up a mountain at the beginning of May. And that has given me, I climbed all the way to the top I did the big scramble and oh my god I achieved this. And it’s given me a real drive to want to do more walking. So I’ve actually bought the hiking sticks,
– Got my goat boots, got my bike serviced I bought a new helmet, so those are the things. And walking I do a lot of walking. So I have a dog and we do a lot of walking.
– The question I have for you is let’s talk about maybe the health and the walking what do you take maybe from your health background into your business that you normally would not?
– No, I mean my ethos is healthy you, healthy business. And the way I promote my marketing business is marketing with a difference. And the difference is the holistic element that I bring into my programmes, into the way I work with people, it’s very intuitive and it’s very health orientated because we all know without your health you not only can’t have decent relationships but you can’t run a business successfully as well. So what I’ve done, quite uniquely is combine the two from personal experiences ’cause I’ve had to to live and breath my own programmes to be able to deliver them authentically so people can see. So the health, time out, meditation, but not so much the meditation it’s more about mindfulness stuff but walking, being with people, having that time out that give you the clarity that you can then put back into your business and see the results that people get. So it’s very much a holistic solution for business.
– I love that and that’s the reason why I was asking this question is because we found that, I personally found talking with a lot of people that other backgrounds that we had they influence massively the way run our business and our beliefs and the way also we work with our clients so thank you for giving us this insight.
– No problem at all.
– Now let’s talk marketing.
– [Caroline] Yeah.
– What different you found in terms of marketing work that changed that’s given a bit of context now that changed from when maybe you started it to now? ’cause a lot of things–
– Well, it’s very different isn’t it? This is why I approached it from a different perspective. And just before I go into that I just want to share with everybody that where this all sort of came from and it came from two words called art and science. And the art is the creativity of you it’s what you create. The science is the systems and processes. And what we do is we combine the together and we apply the hardcore strategic marketing element to make things work. When I’ve looked back at how things were done and what I used to take journalists overseas to meet CEOs and when I ran big press conferences and campaigns and even the golf tournaments. And the different ways that we did the marketing and communications and the strategic stuff as well as the hands on where designing fliers and brochures and all of this in direct mail. It’s changed so much with the digital world. And I think a lot of people have become lost in the digital world. And when I see all the marketeers and I look in the background of what they do it actually says social media, Facebook specialist, LinkedIn specialist. I think yeah we need those things but have you forgotten the hard core elements of going back to the basics of what real marketing is about? And real marketing is about connecting people to people, connecting people to the right people, but having a plan and having a strategic approach to making that happen. And this is what I do and I know there’s a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon and looking at it say, what can we do that’s different? What can we do to make ourselves better known? And this brings me to my motto which is shine out loud and be seen and heard. And it goes back to being brought up in a very strict family of children should be seen and not heard.
– And then wearing a red wedding dress.
– Go against all tradition there you see. So I am different but we get results. And the key is getting results in business. And when clients come to me and they say, I don’t want to let you go Caroline that makes me feel very special because I know that I’m delivering something that is different but something that works. What’s interesting Simone, something that works for them because they’re all unique. We’re not a me too, we are all unique. And everybody has a uniqueness about them that is different and that’s why we buy from different people. So we look at the strategic elements from the underlying marketing that leads to the sales. But also from a buyers perspective. What will make them buy your services and your products? And it’s the passion and the drive and the experience and the genuine authenticity. So I go drill down, deep down into that.
– Let’s start from–
– I digressed a bit sorry.
– No let’s start from there because it’s a great point. When you are in marketing the lot of people they confuse the messaging with the distribution channels.
– And you can have and you can learn how to use Facebook, how to use LinkedIn, how to use Instagram and be great at that but if your message is not the right message and you don’t connect with people in the right way it doesn’t matter what platform you are going to use you are going to fail no matter how good or how many courses you have taken to grow your Instagram profile for example. So let’s look at this hard core strategic pillars. What do you find that are some of the core pillars in terms of marketing that every business owner no matter where they are they need to have in place?
– I think for me, I have five essential ingredients. And my five essential ingredients are for sustainable business expansion and growth. And these start with, believe it or not, health. Health is the first one, I’m giving away some tips here today.
– If you don’t mind the bell is ringing so we keep it ringing if you hear it recorded. Is the things that happen when we are recording.
– That’s okay, so first and foremost without your health you can’t do anything. So we look at that as a core element. I know you probably think what has that got to do with strategic marketing? But you can’t market to somebody if you’re ill if you have problems if you have issues, that will show. So we were taking about health being the first thing and that links to mindset, outcome expectations, what you want to achieve in your business, clearing out that clutter, that means even getting rid of clients that don’t serve you, setting the scene and then getting to the core. And you know a lot of people I talk to and clients don’t actually have a pipeline and they don’t have a pipeline and they some people say what is a pipeline? I say well if you want to start making some money or looking at how to market to your clients strategically you need to look to who is on your database. Who are you talking to? Who are you networking with? So we start looking at that. I think that’s a very key activity to focus on and that’s what we all know in the business as low hanging fruit. We look at who we can talk to right now but potentially could lead to a client. Because everything that we do in business has to lead to achieving those client connecting with clients, doing business and making that transaction. And a lot of businesses, and I’ve experienced myself having gone through, cash flow can be a big issue in businesses. And marketing isn’t an isolated thing it is connected, interconnected in every element of your business. So whether it’s planning, whether it’s financial planning, strategic elements as we’re talking about, your business planning staff if you have them, connectivity, every single element of your business comes together. And I did a talk once on offensive marketing. Maybe we can talk about that another time but that looks at different ways of what you can do to make your business turn around if you ‘re running a big business and you’re in a department and you’re running a department but you’re part of a bigger organisation or if you are a small business and consulting and coaching and working with other people in that sense. Because we all need to be seen. So looking at the core elements is really key I think that’s a massive massive part. And that links to health because if you’re not making the money believe me the stress levels will come in.
– People start to fall and say I can’t afford your services because why, so they end up in a vicious circle. So investment I think is a good one as well investment in the right areas to make sure that you move forward. I’ve got another one called productivity here. Which I suppose is my second one. Productivity is an essential ingredient it’s okay talking about things, it’s okay having a marketing plan, it’s okay having a business plan but if you don’t do the action you’re not gonna get the results. So we look at that and we look at what you can actually do to be more productive. And how I work is I introduce a special unique mapping system. And the mapping system gives visibility, gives clarity we have great fun when we do these mappings. And it shows the big picture, the figure that you want and it shows the plan and then we do the milestone mapping from there. And it really focuses and gives clarity and visibility to the business so therefore what comes out of that is a strategic plan. Because you actually have the how to’s in making it work. And marketing isn’t a difficult science it’s about connecting people to people who want to buy from you. What are you doing in between so that a market attractiveness, what are you saying to people? What are you saying out there? Things like this we’re creating a video so people can find out a bit more about how we can help them. But if you then look at what you’re doing look at are your services and products serving the right people? Or as you mentioned earlier Simone you do all this Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram is it falling down a black hole? And the message being lost and not connecting with the right people? So by doing it this way we help people to align with the clients so here is the holistic element of how I work. Help them to align with the right clients so that they’re not wasting time, they’re not wasting resource and that their investment is well secured. So there’s a lot of what you call the underlying sciences involved in the strategic elements of how it will work. And then we have innovation. So innovate, we always have to innovate. And I know you’re a great innovator Simone.
– New ideas, new people that you meet, bringing in people, collaborating, joining together, it’s got to be something that keeps you vibrant. And people say what are the strategic elements? But it’s all connected. And then inspiration because we have to be inspired. And who do you inspire? And who are you inspired by? And then finally I’ve got here is profit. So if what you’re doing doesn’t lead to profit go back to basics look at the core look at the strategy, and a strategy means how to, how to do da da da da. How to do x, y, z. It’s your activity. Activity leading to what you’re doing but it’s planned, it’s structured and it links in with the infrastructure of your business. And I would certainly recommend to people who want to find out a bit more to see how I do the sales funnels and the targets and the maps and all of this that connects and actually shows the big visual picture of a company’s strategic plan to success. But it’s a action live, living action plan.
– Awesome so let’s go back to these five points. Number one with the health of the business.
– Health yes.
– They you have the productivity.
– Number three?
– [Caroline] Innovation.
– Innovation. Number four?
– [Caroline] Inspiration.
– [Simone] Inspiration, number five?
– So I want to go back into some of the ’cause our listener there are some people here that I know they are struggling with the can’t find their marketing message. What can you tell them? What advice can you give them if someone comes to you and say hey I need to clarify my marketing message, what are the elements that we need to consider and to put in place?
– I think initially is looking at what they’re offering. And look at the clients that they’re serving right now. And what are they delivering and what can they do better? What I would do with them is probably run a marketing analysis with them and discuss and say what have you been doing? Is this your passion? Are you really really focused on making your business a success? ’cause it’s interesting the number of people I speak to and even some of the people who are new to businesses and some who have been in business for a while say actually I don’t want to be doing this anymore. They want to change, and through the talking out process which I suppose is the coaching elements of what I do and the consultation it to get to the core of what is really important. And quite often if their message is reaching the right people their probably not congruent themselves with what they’re offering and what they’re selling. So we need to get to the underlying reason as to what it is in their message that they’re selling and they’re sending out. And I’ve experienced this myself having gone round the houses to come back to doing what I’m doing and the minute you click into your true purpose of what it is that you’re delivering magic happens, it works. So your message doesn’t need to be heard by thousands unless you want to do that it’s different strategies for different causes. But if you want to reach out to the future of a few people knowing what income levels you want the people that you talk to is crucial so again back to your pipeline, who are you talking to? What are you discussing? Are you getting yourself out there meeting people? Are you asking the right questions? And are you finding out more about the other person and their business and how that can align with what you offer and connect with?
– And then you’ve got referral networks and people that can refer to you. But clarity in a message is quite a biggie and I do a lot of work on this with people. There is a lot of confused messages out there and even I know in the past when people say to me, what is it you actually do Caroline? And I had to work on my message to get that right. So it’s a big thing and a lot of us I think everybody needs help in this periodically to stay on track and to stay focused so that you are not first of all wasting resource and secondly you are attracting, clicking in with the right clients that want to buy from you.
– So in terms of elements of a message so you mention going back to your current clients, going back to your product. And what else can we do to clarify the message?
– I think you can go out and talk and practise and speak and go to events and discuss with people. You can arrange one to one’s with people. You could do a survey and ask people. I think GTechS do an amazing launch formula that can help with that. So there’s a lot of things that you can do to ask people if I did this, would this be something of interest to you? And it’s asking the questions and doing the surveys. And also looking within, maybe it’s time to review the services that you have within your business, maybe it’s time to review the products that you have, maybe it’s time to let go of a few things if they’re not paying. Why are they not working? So it’s looking at all of these different things as well. But it’s all about connecting with the right people. So yes I would say go back to your clients, talk to them, do a survey, look at what you’re actually doing and do those Rs you know you’re plan do rinse, review repeat all of that in your business to get out of it. ’cause I think ultimately people want to leverage their time and maximise their time so you can be working with more people but less hours. But the message has got to be congruent.
– I think you’re definitely on point because if I think about one our top line of GTechS which is we turn experts into authorities. And I say when people ask me what do you do? I say turn experts into authorities people are like wow that’s interesting. And every time they say oh wow that’s really good.
– Yeah it’s brilliant.
– Yeah it took me five years by four awards.
– That’s how it happens.
– How did it came is talking to people seeing what people wanted and then finding their language, what is it they really want? And that’s where it comes so don’t be afraid of going out there and talking.
– Definitely not. Sorry.
– I see your passion about this.
– Very passionate about it all.
– I want to now go into the part because we are towards the end of the interview, so I want to go to part of lifting the veil. Where I’m asking you to share something maybe a tool or an app or a book something that is worth sharing that can make a life or business better of our listeners. What’s that for you?
– Well for me it’s, I’m a big reader I love learning continuously but one of the authors, it’s a book that I’m gonna recommend is from the Napoleon Hill foundation and Napoleon Hill wrote a book called Think And Grow Rich. But through that book which is a very interesting book I recommend it if you haven’t read it, very old book, but very very good, is a book called Three Feet From Gold by Greg Reid and Sharon Lechter who are still around on the circuit. In fact I met Greg Reid a couple of months ago in London and I was very excited to meet him. And that book called Three Feet From Gold really gave me the drive to never give up. And a lot of people get very close to their dreams and goals and ambitions and through maybe other people, external sources, other people saying what are you bothering with that for? But to keep going because you never know you could be literally inches away centimetres away from that goal, that first client and I’ve experienced that myself and I’ve had lots of family and friends telling me go and get a proper job go and get a real job, go back into the industry and something inside me said no I have a message to share and give to people. And this book is fantastic. And it just gives you lots of good other millionaires tips and advice in there.
– Three Feet From Gold, we’ll put a link in the show and also guys make sure that you check it out and get the book, this is not an affiliate link.
– Is good for disclaimer because we need to be transparent in these things. This is not an affiliate link so you can get it and it’s something that we’re doing for you. And giving this out some resources because we all experience and learn new things and I’m a bit of a geek I love to learn what other people find really useful and apply it to my life, so this is for you guys. Now before we are a apart. You are one of our amazing lifetime members. What made you join GTechS? What made you want to be a part of GTechS?
– GTechS is a one in a million. It’s an incredible group and I’ve personally been connected with GTechS for quite some time now and I didn’t get started straight away because obviously I had stuff I needed to do to get myself right, get myself focused and moving forward. But I’ve always recommended GTechS to everybody and last year when two of my clients joined the lifetime membership before me I thought come on Caroline it’s about time all these messages were coming to me. And it was exactly the right time. And I’ve always recommended GTechS we’ve stayed in touch and I followed you and I’ve introduced people to the membership site. And there’s just so much community, so much sharing, so much information and training that you guys provide it’s incredible, it’s the best. I’ve been to lots of other trainings and other things similar but I feel a very important thing to say on this open cast here is the people that you attract the people, the genuine, authentic business people that really want to help each other and help everybody so you’ve nailed it with your growing together exponentially bringing people together. For me I get a warm feeling of being supported and helped and I know that any question isn’t a silly question and anything that we need help, there’s the coaches, there’s the help, there’s the support and I know how hard you’ve worked to pull this together yourself and Ben and the team and everybody. And I’ve seen it and who wouldn’t want to be part of that really? You’re crazy if you’re not part of that.
– Thank you thank you, wow I’m so happy right now.
– Thank you.
– So if you guys want to know how to become a GTechS member then book a call with our team the link is here in the show also we’d love to welcome you in the community. Now it’s time to wrap up Caroline it’s been an amazing interview. Love everything you shared about the strategic side and different aspects that we need to consider in there in terms of the business and our messaging. Sure there are people here that are listening say I need some more marketing advice I need to RevUp my marketing where can they reach to to you? Where can they connect with you?
– The can connect to me I’m on LinkedIn. I think my link is on, we can put the link on–
– Yeah we’ll put the link in the comments.
– My website is starflowercompany.co.uk and I’m gonna be running some online group course as well starting in July. So if you want to have a chat about that let me know. But I’m very happy to offer anyone who wants to connect, a free marketing analysis of their business on a call, we can do a Zoom, we can do a Skype, we can meet up. That’s on me to help you get started. That’s how I like to work with people and we usually do a free discovery call anyway before anybody gets started so that’s a way for us to get to know each other. And then you can decide if you feel it’s the right thing for you moving forward. And most people just don’t want to go away.
– Work a bit of Caroline magic with them.
– They do yes. But I love helping people and I love to see the success that people get as a result of how they are working and implementing so one word, implementation. You can’t do anything without implementation.
– Caroline thank you very much, the links are going to be here in the show notes thank you very much Caroline for joining our show it’s been a pleasure having you here.
– [Caroline] My pleasure.
– Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for listening to the show. If you haven’t subscribed yet then subscribe to the show right now. And also send us your questions because if your question gets picked up as well you can win a free course. So send me your question at firstname.lastname@example.org so email@example.com with your questions. And then will answer your question on this show and we will give you a free course to thank you for your participation. Again make sure you get in touch with Caroline, subscribe to the podcast and send us your question. Have a fantastic day and remember that together we grow exponentially. Bye for now.