Welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by https://gtex.org.uk/,
I am your host, Simone Vincenzi, The Experts Strategist, and this is the podcast for experts who want to become the ultimate authority in their niche while making an impact in the world.
If you want to build a highly profitable coaching, speaking or training business, download now our EXPERT BIZ CHECKLIST.
The EXPERT BIZ CHECKLIST is the best tool you can use for your expert business where you will take a full assessment of your business and know exactly what to focus on to go to your next level.
Click here to download.
Today I have the pleasure to Interview Mia von Loga
Mia von Loga is the person who can illustrate why spiritual awakening and uncompromised aggression are not mutually exclusive and how embracing your inner opposing forces can help you succeed in life and business. As the founder of BeyondDefence, she teaches people with a unique concept, how to combine effective self-defence with wholesome self-care.
In this episode, we talk about:
- Beyond Self-Care: How to transform your life outside and inside.
- The 4 Layers of Beyond-Defence and how to use them in your life to face every challenge
- The missing pieces that personal development does not teach you to a liberated life
Connect with Mia von Loga
Instagram: @miavonloga, @beyonddefence
To become a GTeX Member, Apply here:
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ
Take a full business assessment for free to have absolute clarity on your business with the EXPERT BIZ CHECKLIST.
Also, make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
Thank you for listening to EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ SHOW.
If you enjoyed the interview, please subscribe to the show and leave us a review.
Every week we will select a winner from the reviews we get.
Remember to download THE EXPERT BIZ CHECKLIST to get the roadmap on how to become an AUTHORITY in your field.
Finally, To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ
Thank you for listening and remember that TOGETHER WE GROW EXPONENTIALLY.
– Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, today I’m here with the one and only Mia Von Logan. How you doing Mia?
– I’m okay, thank you. I’m actually having a beautiful time today. How are you, I’m happy to be here.
– I am incredibly happy to be talking to you, I’m really well thank you for asking. And today we are going to talk about a new concept called BeyondDefence so, we’re gonna leave it there, so then our listeners, this will be reveal throughout today the conversations. But before we get started talking about BeyondDefence, and the importance of taking care of ourself, and putting ourselves first and how do we do that. Then I want to ask a bit more about you and your journey. So what got you to create, what is the journey that got you in the path that got you to create BeyondDefence.
– Yeah, it’s good that you asked me that, ’cause I’ve asked myself that, was like, how did I end up here, doing this now? So it’s like, is a bit you know me a little bit my journey takes turns. But yeah, so I would say it was breathing. Now, all of us know one of these deep sighs, you know these, Yes this
– I recommend everyone right now, you’re listening to the show just,
– Yeah, let’s do this together. Yeah and now you would even probably think oh yeah well yeah. You might imagine me being in a yoga class, doing this ’cause this is where we know it from all, after hard work day, as you go home and find out yeah, but no it wasn’t that moment, it was me being in a self defence class, doing krav maga feeling this deep sigh of like, ah. And I was like, what’s happening here?
– Just before you move on, can you just give context of what krav maga is.
– Yes of course, so krav maga is a close combat form that’s toward here, and for its towards for self defence, but it was initially invented and for the military. So this is how I’m sure what I’m gonna keep it.
– Yeah, perfect.
– So it’s very effective, let’s put it that way. And this is why I really like it, too.
– Yeah so you see this in this moment, that was like, in all that surrounding of that context, I was having this deep sigh ever, and I was like okay, what’s happening here, and exploring that, when I went harmless and what happened with me, my body felt like poof, and I thought okay, I wanna explore this a little bit more, this there’s more to this than what I’m doing right here. And now I have to take you little back of my personal journey,
– Which is not, has not always been very comfortable, ’cause I’m unfortunately one of these, women, the many women out there, who have experienced sexual harassment and emotional abuse. And I was very young when that happened to me, or when that happened and even, as a young woman also in so speaking this context I think I carried around, for a long time, the idea or the like desire to learn self defence, so go and like do something if that would ever happen, that I will be able to do, and it took me even that, it took me decade to actually do it. And that’s one part of, what is important, what brought me there, ’cause I realised in that moment I just described, that what I was doing wasn’t self defence, what was doing was taking care of myself on a complete different level. That I get shivers now, so if I get shivers, that means I’m speaking the truth is like, I feel like okay, I’m saying yes to myself, I’m saying yes, instead of saying no, to others, I’m saying yes, this is it, and my body felt and this is really my body felt awakening, like it happened wanting to get nourished and have like these are the skills I didn’t have in the past, and finally, I was making the move to teach it.
– And my mind was softening too, in terms of, okay now, I don’t have to take care of all of this by myself. And I need to mention that because, I actually had been taking care of myself for a long time, ever since that happened when I was growing up, I went to counselling, I dug deeper into psychology, I even studied psychology, I felt the urge to help others,
– So mentally you’re already taking care of yourself, okay.
– Exactly, so this is the part exactly so, I was in a good place myself, but that felt like the missing link. And being a very strong ever since, I was a girl being a very strong willed person, that really was like, getting you know this something I wanna go for.
– And I know this is very personal and obviously what I just I tapped into the expertise as I had already a gathering like, being a coach being, studying education, science and all that so that, that brought me together onto this path. And I think, also starting yoga at the same time was the thing where I realised okay, there’s more nourishment than you were thought Mia. No more nourishment that you need, in terms of self care ’cause you have a spiritual side.
– So yes, this is how I ,
– I have a question because now you can I can see that from the experience, there wasn’t just one thing that got you on the path I mean, that helped you complete or heal the process of that trauma or like fully taking care of yourself, there’s a combination of elements. At after how long of taking care of yourself in particular mentally or spiritually, you then decided to also take care of yourself physically by joining the krav maga class because, we see that there are maybe a lot of women out there, that or they don’t care about themself. I’m talking about women because that’s the context, men do the same. By if you’re talking about sexual harassment, then that’s something that happened mostly, to women. So what happened, and what was the switch in you that said, you know what, I need to go to the self defence class.
– It’s a good question, it was a calling, it was just like, it was the one day that what happens to me several times, it was like, that came to me and say okay, I’m gonna do now bam, and then I did it. I looked it up in the internet found class went there bam, ever since I did it. So it’s a couple, it’s a few years ago that I started this, and it came out of nowhere, even though as I said, I carried it around that request for a decade problem. So yeah, and what you mentioned in terms of, women not taking care and that, you just phrase it like that. I don’t think it’s not more like in contact with sexual harassment is not their duty to do that, obviously the boundaries should be absolutely there.
– No, absolutely, it came out and wrong way, but I completely,
– No I just wanna, specifically point that out in terms of, because this is the thing, we tend to be people humans, can at the moment especially tend to think about self care, with well being, and well
– All that but, have you ever wondered about your physical safety and it goes for men too, It’s not only for women.
– Totally yeah, I just wanted to,
– No absolutely thank you for clarifying, because that’s exactly what I wanted to mean in terms of, at that point to where a lot of times when we have traumas, or where we are difficult situations, and we look at healing in particular the mental side or the spiritual side, but then very few times we see actually no, that physical is equally as important. And that’s what I wanted to explore so, I know that in the conversations that we had, now you put together all these experiences that you have, all this layer and then that was a starting point to create to be on defence. So can you talk to me a bit more about those layers set, that you went to explore.
– Yes of course it’s my pleasure. Well, like I said, everything we do is multi layered. It’s just, it’s like, think about it, whatever you do, you don’t do it only with, with your thoughts, you do with a feeling, you do with an intention, you do, is that you have an effect on somebody else. So this is the base of BeyondDefence where I bring together the body, the mind, the soul and the spirit. So we are not only focusing on teaching women skills, like physical skills, but we’re working on the mindfulness in the mindset that you can actually apply these skills. So this was the initiative aimed to combine self defence skills and mindset skills to do it. And then I realised, there’s even more to that,
– Because you have emotions, you have an emotional body, so that energy, even when you have the mindset, and in the physical skills, you still have maybe triggers traumas, and things that are hindering you, gender things, culture things, all that stuff, all that, all these aspects of bringing in there. So that’s what I described the soul basically so but we, I also look at some something where you find your your thrives your purpose, why are you doing this, because no one is doing one thing just for themselves.
– So yet, is that do you wanna hear more about every layer or
– Absolutely, yeah, let’s go deeper into different layers because in particular what I love about this concept and in the conversation that we had in the past, is the different layers, because if sometimes we can just focus on one aspect and we say okay actually, we need to just focus on this and then there is not a complete shift, just because we are only tapping into one of these layers. And so the thing that already having the awareness of what these layers are, is very useful because then like you did, you had, you started focusing mainly on the mental layer and the mindset part, but then they really did the release happen and happens when it was the physical, and some people will start going on the physical side, and then neglect the other side. So let’s explore the different layers.
– Okay, so it’s exactly how you said it. So I’ve counted yesterday, I visited about 15 different teachers of martial arts schools.
– Just to see, because I’m travelling a lot, and I don’t wanna give up my practise, so and from that I got so much insight, because everybody is every teacher always brings something individually, obviously. And that’s great. So I could gather and understand a little bit more, what was important for me as an individual, because everybody else was providing me with something else. And even if it was just a tiny bit, yet, I have not experienced or rather few, who have actually dug deeper into these different layers. So I would sit there in a class, and I would extensively practise skills like techniques, and techniques and techniques. And that’s great because like you said sometimes we need to focus, so you learn that, but then how are you able to apply that, when you under stress? So what we’re, it’s great that you know and moving, and you I know you are into basketball so, even as an athlete, when the game is on, the adrenaline pushes in, and now we’re talking here about life setting situation the worst case.
– The last thing you wanna do is freeze. He’s like, okay I can’t do anything. No, you want to be able to play, to actually take care of yourself.
– So, this is the body side where we, the physical side where we, have we just name a few, take into account, obviously the self defence skills, the techniques but, we also strengthen the body, not just only through workout but doing yoga, for example. So I combine yoga into the whole concept, and I focus on helping people to build an individual relationship with their body, to actually understand and have a loving relationship with it. And not just see it is like, the outside thing the castle, is a castle, but you see what I mean right. So you have to have a relationship
– And what was the biggest thing that this gave to you, like you have to talk about your personal experience, the focus on the physical side, what was the biggest thing that that gave to you.
– Well, you mean like the benefits or,
– Biggest benefit yeah, or certainty or what is that they gave it to you.
– It actually made me aware of, that I’m the whole of me. So that if I want to live with myself, I rather make an effort to actually build a good relationship with everything, even all of me, and feel more, I feel settled, I feel good, I feel like I can, I’m alive. So and not just walking around in some shell, so yeah, I think that’s really it and yeah, they say at the same time, as I said, the mind is so important, so we take care of mindfulness, we do the mindset like I mentioned before, there’s a lot of focus on awareness, but in a good way not alert is where you tensing up, but in terms of mindfulness to be present, to be there, which gives you a complete different fields to walk around, to be there, to be in conversations to even in business, and if you talk about the other layer of the soul, then I put the emotional management side in there, were you, a lot of people, have a difficulty to deal with their emotions now, we’re talking in a surrounding about self defence, obviously, aggression is the subject. Now there can be some sides there, maybe I can see people burst into anger, and not being able to control that anger, and then others would not allow themselves to be angry. But aggression is a good thing. If it’s there to protect you, this is what you want to do.
– And it can’t be a motor right, it can be a motivator.
– Yeah is about how is that used that, how is that energy type of energy channelled, isn’t channelled to protect yourself, in the right situation on the right moment, or is there channelled to hurt and harm other people. And that’s the difference that I’m hearing you making.
– That’s right, you understood the
– Perfect guy to get on the same page?
– Yeah, that’s it, and that’s important ’cause it’s another aspect, and the anger because it is an aggressive, it’s not super aggressive, but obviously aggression is a part so, what you just said, one of the principles also is that, we don’t want to fight in BeyondDefence.
– If we have to fight, we do it holy hearted. So if you can avoid it, you don’t have to go in there, don’t go in there, but if you have to deal with something, then deal with it.
– Then you know how to deal with it, and you have the tools to deal with it. And I’m curious to know a bit more about, your side of talking about the soul and emotional management, where are you, someone that was a repressing your anger, and then you had to put it out, like it to, to learn it, how to use it to be able to deal with the situations or, where you using the anger in uncontrolled way and to, learn how to tone it down, where were you in that spectrum.
– It’s a very good question and you see me laughing because, I’m a very impulsive person, so my anger would jump sometimes into people’s faces and but on the other hand, no, I actually was doing both. And in some moments, I was repressing my anger, ’cause I was not allowing myself to happen, in the might be family, surrounding or whatever, let things where I felt like no, I can’t do this. And then because I was holding back a lot of anger from what I experienced, boom, it would explode and other parts, being being a stupid person to someone maybe. And yes, so it was both sides, to learn to control it or to channel it in a different way, and allowing you to the same time that’s okay. That’s okay that is a huge force that is very, that I can take a lot out of, so yeah.
– Brilliant and so and then you talked about the spiritual side which is the fourth layer, how is that different from the soul?
– Well, the spiritual aspect is actually that, we take into into account that we all connected. So what I mentioned before when there are two aspects, if you do something for yourself, you always have an effect on somebody else. And that goes both ways, you can inspire someone, that could be something they could benefit from, but on the other hand, if you’re talking about self defence stuff, you might be in a situation with somebody, even if they are threatening you, you are going to have an impact on their life as well. And now might maybe some of you think I will, why do I care, they are threatening me.
– Yeah. And I give that it’s, you have totally you have every right to think that. Yes, I’m talking about appropriate behaviour, appropriate responses or appropriate reflection on what you’re doing. So if somebody is talking to you in, and not so nice away, you might not need to kick the ass to the moon. You could just
– Yeah, he’s not there to use the physical side, in any confrontation. Mom you annoyed me, that’s what we are talking about,
– Exactly so, thinking that you knowing that you have the impact on others, this is what I’m teaching in BeyondDefence as well that, we all connected, that when you are going to do something brilliant, others follow you, but also we are taking the spiritual side of it as something given not to question, we don’t need to study it long so anything, yet there is more to life than just being a human. We are spiritual beings. And so we are changing the world with what we’re doing, and this goes for this as well. And I would love to point something out here, if you allow me to ’cause this is so, what I’ve realised that, every woman who does self defence, does not do self defence only for herself. She does it for another woman too. and for the future daughters, and for the future grandchildren, every woman who stands up and says yes to herself, basically does that for other women too in just pointing out, I can deal with this, I am strong or stronger than you, and I do this my way and I let love flow. And I’m talking about love am not talking about physical violence now, I’m talking about because I’m with it. And this is that, that is so strong, that it made me thrive for it, that we can on a spiritual view, doing that individually change the collective strength of women. And this is Yeah, that’s now,
– I got goosebumps, I’m not a woman, I got goosebumps. And I can relate, of course I cannot talk, on a women’s perspective because I’m a man, and is a complete different I mean, I can understand things conceptually, but I will never be able to experience things, in exactly the same way. But I can see that if I have to report it to the experiences I have in these four different layers, I can see how they will interact with each other, because for example, when I was a teenager, I was bullied consistently, and I’ve never been a person who wanted to fight back, also because I didn’t have the means to fight back, and I was even more scared about having a confrontation with some of my peers, then actually standing my ground, and so I would just allow everything to happen and, do the best I could to become the Joker of the situation, so then I wouldn’t get hurt, and becoming like into cool people club, and so I could avoid being bullied. But then I saw actually how that impacted my then my future life, because it became a pattern of avoiding confrontations and then became a people pleaser, because it just came from the fact that, I couldn’t take care of myself physically. And then I teamed up the mental side and the spiritual side so I can see what you mean, in throughout this experience. Now the question I have is, do we need to work on all the four levels at the same time, or are these other levels and these layers that naturally maybe innately everyone, is more developed than others and so they should focus on something, for the people that you’ve worked with, and your own experience, what do you stand with that?
– Well first off, thank you for sharing your point of view from your own experiences. This is really you bring it to a point, and it’s not only about women, is about everybody I’m going to jump on to your question, so basically what I, no one has to do anything, if you say who do we need to work and everything, no it’s your choice, so this is the beauty of it, you don’t follow a strict teaching line or anything, but you build your own wholesome self care, package, empowerment package would help a trainer. So you save yourself and your fellow students. So basically, like you said, everyone is at a certain stage in all these layers, so there is no template there is no straight line. I work with individuals, and then you will always tap into all layers. Like I said, we do that anyway.
– So I will provide you an individual personal outlay, where you can start working on it step by step. So you tap into all layers at the same time, but after I’ve all my experience, People do actually realise and feel, what’s the first thing that has to be prioritise. So and then I go with a mood, help them navigate through it. Does that answer your question?
– Yeah, absolutely it answered my questions, because it is important, sometimes we can have imbalances, so like you like you did in the beginning, I think that you had to start focusing on, is sorting out the more like the mental side. But then the physical side was lacking, and so then you had to go there and actually, that’s where you had the outer breakthroughs but is important to keep the balance because then, why is one side and becomes a higher than the other or, and that’s where there is no balance there. And I think that balance what I’m hearing you saying is that most important is the core of this concept. Can you expand a bit more on that?
– Yes it is actually no matter, so it’s in terms of the breathing, it’s something where you start balancing it the first thing. So breathing is is one element that we do. Taking into account that if you have watched, for example, Karate Kid when you were younger, they talk a lot about balance, and when you look martial art thing, so balance is the key. So yes, we’re making sure that people are, taking the right amount of each layer to have a ground under their feet basically, and having stable stand whatever they do, and not just self defence, but in their daily lives. So I would make sure that basically, when I work with people that they always get an emotional, management task with them, that I give them a focus. And one of the things like I said before is that, we start with our intention. So it’s never that be focused on the opponent, we always focus on what we want. And built on that, we build the balance, to actually make that happen.
– That makes perfect sense, and I’m actually right now taking a mental check on, where should I focus on the most right now, is that the physical, the mental, the spiritual, so I would like to invite everyone who’s listening right now to do that. And like, say take an assessment about yourself. I mean, you know what you need, so listen to yourself, which part of this four layers do you need to be focused on the most at this stage. So then you can create that and bring things back to balance. I’m just taking this mental assessment right now. So if we are, now I want to move to the next part of the interview, which is lifting the veil. Now in this part, I’m gonna ask, as always ask my guests to share a tool, book, resources, practises that they use to make that life, or business better. So what is that for you Mia? What would you like to share?
– Yeah, I would I would go for it, for two books, because then they go into combination. one of them is The Power of Now by ,Eckhart Tolle. and the other one is Sapiens by Yuval Harari. And I think these two and the combination are very, very strong books, that explain have taught me a lot about, human spiritual existence and have a very complete game changer for me, in my life.
– What was the biggest thing you got out in terms of personal message yet from The Power Of Now?
– Okay personally I tell you, really one of these size where I thought okay, I’m okay,
– I’m right, there’s no wrong with me,
– Am okay am not weird, might be weird, but I’m just a spiritual being in a human body. So basically yeah.
– And how about that the biggest thing you got from Sapiens, I love both of this books.
– Oh my God, there was this page or there was this chapter about, when he described human actually become slaves to the core, when they started to work on fields and where they just, started to dedicate their lives to working, and is like that blew me away. That was like what I did just now like, oh my God
– That’s where it all comes from.
– Yes exactly, why the heck, just like, and you put me in this misery. That was search an eye open I just couldn’t believe, could not believe.
– I can hard recommend this book too, read The Power Of Now many years ago, he was at the very beginning of my kind of with coldest spiritual awakening if you want to call that way. But it was one of the things that got me to realise, oh, okay, there’s a bit more to life than that what I think. And then Sapiens, I just read it recently, and it actually was a birthday gift from, another lifetime member Yellena, and I was like, I was absolutely blown away from the book, in particular looking at, I am interested in psychology, and I’m interesting why things happen. I was always that, that annoying kid when I was a kid, why mom, why, why is this happening? Why, like even my teachers in the report were saying, okay, you better explain to Simone why this happens otherwise, you no gonna let you leave. Am so that safe, is that book fed my Y syndrome absolutely amazing. How can people reach out to you, how can people get in touch with you if they want to know more, or get involved about, they apply the concept of BeyondDefence in their lives.
– Well first obviously, you could go to my website, which would be the easiest, that’s www.miavonloga.com/BeyondDefence. And where you can Skype to the newsletter, and be updated all times, you can find workshops there, and events I’m going to do, whereas I’m still let’s say in the final making of it, so I’m launching the concept completely in 2020. Like where it’s gonna be but, I’m already putting out introduction workshops and, newsletters thing so you can actually start doing things, right now already with tiny tears, tiny insights. So I would say subscribing to the newsletter and also, obviously social media sites where you can follow me.
– Brilliant, so make sure you will get scroll down, in the show notes. There is the link on the website, miavonloga.com/BeyondDefence, and also connected with Mia on the different social media platform, I would highly recommend for you guys to get involved, in BeyondDefence, because it is in incredible, an incredible tool that can use it to bring more balance and peace in your life more confidence. I’ve been known Mia for a while, so I’ve seen the development of BeyondDefence from the beginning. And I’m really excited about this, about this going out everywhere because women, men as well, but women is it need, is a need that we have as human being, so thank you Mia for for launching this. Any any final words of wisdom from you?
– You know I speak a lot.
– I think I would like to invite everyone, who’s listening or watching this to, like do the tech. But in terms of not so much what’s the first thing you have to work on but just to, to explore a little bit and say, am I with my intention? When I go through my daily life, why don’t you guys just check in every now and again and see, am I still following my intention? Because if you are not, you might think about changing that, because if you follow your intention, you always in action, but if you start focusing what’s happening, you will always be in the reaction. And this is something that can make a huge of a difference. And then yeah, if you wanna know more, talk to, chat and have a chat about it or, I see you how BeyondDefense can have that for you, and you feel that, it could be and can be very useful in business. Then yeah, just reach out and also share your experience. I would love to hear them.
– All right, that’s fantastic, so make sure you get in touch with Mia. Thank you Mia for being unexplored your expert business show. It’s been an absolute pleasure having you here.
– Thank you Simone, it was pleasure to be here, and thank you for making this interview so beautiful.
– Well it takes the two of us, now, thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen for listening. I’m sure you enjoyed it, so if you enjoy it, let us know, leave us a review on the show, let us know which part of the interview enjoy the most, what was your biggest takeaway. And also, if you haven’t subscribed yet, make sure that you subscribe, click that juicy subscribe button so then, you can get all the other incredible episodes that we are releasing multiple times a week. Mia, thank you very much again. Ladies and gentlemen remember that together, we grow exponentially. Ciao.
– Thank you Simone, ciao.