Welcome to episode #255 of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by http://gtex.org.uk/,
If you want to make 6 figures presentations and become awesome at Selling From The Stage without compromising your integrity I have created The Ultimate Selling From Stage Checklist.
The most comprehensive checklist to create a pitch that sells without being a douchebag.
In this episode, I talk about
We are going to introduce the #ProfileBuilder and get on the waiting list to get a special gift.
To become a GTeX Member, Apply here:
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ https://www.facebook.com/groups/explodeyourexpertbiz/
Also, make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
– Hello, and welcome, welcome, welcome. Today is a very, very, very, very special day because I’m here with the one and only Michelle Raymond. Hi, Michelle, how are you doing today?
– Ha ha hi.
– So, we are here live, and we’re going to be talking about the Profile Builder. Now, you probably have been hearing me talking about the Profile Builder in the past few days, but I gotta say that this programme would not happen, in particular in this way, without Michelle. And so, she has been a huge, and she is a huge, influence in the development of the programme, and as well working one-to-one with all our clients, part of the Profile Builder. And I wanted to introduce the work that we are doing to the world, And in particular, Michelle is doing a lot of work behind the scenes, working with our clients, so then you can understand as well who she is and the work that she does. So, Michelle, welcome, welcome, welcome!
– Thank you, thank you.
– All right, so it’s time to get started.
– Let’s first check in a bit more about you, Michelle. How did you become passionate about getting people to raise their profile?
– Do you know what? I see so many great people, so many talented people, and no one knows who they are. And I think to myself, how can you have so much talent and the world doesn’t know that you exist? It’s no good just your friends and your family, but there’s potential buyers out there that want to know you and trust you, and want to buy from you. So, my thing is, that’s part of the reason why I want to do it. Because I just see so many really talented and skilled, you know, really great people out there. But I guess, for me, from a personal perspective, and I guess that probably feeds into the way that I deliver the programme, it’s because I come from a story where I became invisible myself, and I wasn’t known for what I wanted to be known for. And because I became invisible, because of something that my ex-husband was accused of doing, and it put so much impact and pressure on myself because I had to hide away from society. And when I had that trickle of change, where I thought, Michelle, I’ve got to live again, I’ve got to become public, and before all of this happened I used to sing, and I used to sing with lots of, you know, pop stars. So, you know, I wasn’t like afraid of fame, per se, but then I hid away for years and I thought to myself, the day that I change, and the truth of a change, when I was able to live again, I thought, I am not hiding at all. So then, from there, I just wanted to be visible, but credible and visible. So that’s for me, just showing up is just not enough. You have to show up with credibility and with authenticity, and you have to show up and have value as well.
– Yeah, absolutely, and that’s why we resonated well, in terms of working together here on this programme, because it is about not only just showing up for the sake of showing up, or getting published for the sake of getting published, but it’s showing up and getting published for the right reasons.
– And to add value, and as well, also in a business, make sure it also makes business sense to be in certain places. And, you know, the reason I want to tell everyone, the reason why we chose Michelle to be part of this programme, it is because I speak a lot. I do about 200 events a year. I’m always featured on magazines, publications, podcasts, and so on. And if there is one person that has this more than me, that’s Michelle. And I was like, how does she get so many speaking engagements? Is always on radio, TV, and different publications and so on. A big part of the work that we do with GTeX is not just sharing information, but we always make sure that whoever works with our clients actually walks the talk. It’s not enough just having the information and saying, oh, this is how you get featured in publications. But we always wanted to collaborate with someone that actually walks the talk, that is consistently featured. In other words, like, consistently featured and relevant. So, tell us a bit more of some of the media experiences, or places that you have been featured, Michelle?
– So, I just want to go back to what you said. I think it’s really important that you do walk the talk. As I always say there’s two types of people: There’s people who can get it for themselves but can’t get it for others, and there’s people who can’t get it for themselves at all but they try to get it for others. And I want to be the person that can get it for myself and get it for others. So I think that’s a very clear distinction.
– Thank you.
– I would not have taken this on if I knew that I couldn’t do it. That sort of thing. And, in terms of publications and speaking engagements, yeah, I’ve done quite a lot. In terms of speaking engagements, I would say on average now, well it’s slowing down now, but I get about three to four speaking engagements a month, and this would be on large stages, small stages, seminars. So, I’ve just done another two, I’ve got another two coming up this month as well. I’ve also been featured in the Guardian, and that came about by chance, actually. So that wasn’t a strategic move, that came about by chance. But because that came about, it’s led to other work as well. Sky, Forbes, and lots of industry magazines. So, my industry is, as you know, human resources. I’ve been featured in People Management magazine, HR magazine, Grapevine magazine, yeah. And it’s because what I try and do is leash myself in an area that I know a lot about. So, like I said and we’ve spoken about, it’s about going deep into a subject rather than going wide. So then they’ll come to me and say, Michelle, do you have any thoughts on employee engagement? Or the changes of employment law. So I can speak quite in-depth about that, because I make sure I go deep into these areas. So I always say to people, whatever you’re going to talk about, make sure you know a lot about it. And not just surface level, and not just information that I can Google myself. You’ve got to show me something that Google can’t show me. So I’m looking for insight as well as information. That’s the difference. And then get Googled.
– Absolutely as well. Thank you very much, Michelle. And, yes, I know you are always out there. So in terms of the work that you have been doing with the Profile Builders, because right now we have been partnering up on this programme for a good seven months, actually. Seven-eight months that we started. Launching this programme was from almost the beginning of the year. So you have worked with a different range of people, with many people throughout this programme. So what are some of the work that you do with the people that are coming through the Profile Builder programme?
– Yeah, we’ve got a mix bag. So we’ve got consultants, we’ve got coaches, we’ve got teachers, property investors. It’s a very mixed bag, and it’s not for me to try and tell people what to do, because I don’t know everybody’s business. So what I think is part of my strategy is to really do deep listening, because I listen to what they’re saying. And people don’t realise that they’ve got so much going for them but because it’s an inherent part of them, they don’t see it, but someone from the outside can see it. And so, because of that, once we get through that listening stage, it’s the probing stage, I’m finding out that there’s gems in there which I’m thinking, oh my God, a publication, the right publication would want this. And so we’ve been working with a number of people. You know, one person, in a matter of I think it was a week, a week and a day, I remember he said to me, Michelle, I want a speaking engagement in a school. Now, we all know, through experience, that trying to get to speak in a school is really really hard. It takes time to build those relationships with the heads of departments, whatever. But I’ve got a back pocket of really great network and I leveraged on my network. And I remember someone said to me, Michelle, do you know anyone who is great at speaking at schools? And my mind just clicked onto this person. And that one specialty that I want to do is really understand everybody who I’m working with so I think like them, so I have the same thought process as them. So when that person said that to me, I just went into that mode and I thought, yeah, I know exactly the right person. And because we created his position statement and hook together, I could read it off. I didn’t have to go into my notes. I could just read it off, and then she said, he sounds perfect. Introduced them, and he got it. And within two weeks, he was already booked to speak at a school. That’s a really good win. And there’s other wins. There’s other people who I’ve shown them really some creative strategies that, when they are speaking on stage, what they can do to get more leads then. And we’ve seen people get 18 to 25 leads in one speaking engagement. Yeah, so it’s been really good. People’s been featured on radio stations, one person’s been featured on Sky already, another person has been featured on podcast, and has been in publications. Yeah, so there’s lots more.
– What is it that you love the most, of the different things that you do in the Profile Builder? Because you don’t only make the interactions, looking at the different angles that it can use to get on media. With all the things that you do in the Profile Builder, what is it you enjoy the most doing?
– I like the background story bit, because I like being taken for a journey. So, I like to understand that. And then, I think quite quickly of ways– So, when they’re talking, I’m like, oh, oh my God, I’ve got something! And I’m typing it down, because I start thinking, oh my God, we can pitch you for this and we can pitch you for that. So I like to hear people’s stories because there’s hidden gems within their stories which we can use as a position statement. And I always say to people, you either have to be current or controversial. So you pick the lane you want to be in. If it’s controversial, it doesn’t have to be controversial which will damage your brand, but you just have a very unique perspective on something that’s being said all the time. Or you’ve gotta go for something current, you gotta be involved in conversations that are already happening. So how do we get you on that list, so that they think of you when they next want to hire their speakers?
– Well, I gotta say, we always do feedback sessions with all the clients that go through the Profile Builder. So the feedback that we have received about what they actually enjoy the most about the programme was actually the work that they were doing with Michelle, because of her unique ability. Oh, that’s true, Michelle, because you have a unique ability to really understand someone. And so when you understand the essence of a person, then they can actually see how they can pitch themselves to publications, what unique angles, how to get in, and it’s not something that everyone can do, really understand the essence and the core of a person. Because everything that you’re doing on media and PR is amplifying who you are as a person. Amplifying the message that you want to give out. So having that clarity about what is your angle, what is your unique message, how can you be different, how can you stand out, where can you be? It requires a very particular person and a particular mind to understand that. And definitely, Michelle, you are the best at this stuff.
– Thank you.
– Ah, you’re welcome. You’re welcome. So, now, these are the questions that we had. This is the interaction that I wanted to do this live, and for those of you that are maybe watching this on the recording, that maybe just joined the Profile Builder programme, that’s for you a way to get to know Michelle more. Because throughout the programme, actually, we are co-delivering. We are both working together on the different sessions. We have split the recording of the sessions, and then, in particular on the one-to-one work. Michelle is going to take care of you. So I wanted to make sure that you can get to know her even before you start seeing the covering material that we have created for you. Michelle–
– Don’t forget to talk about the resources.
– Okay, actually, yes. Tell me more about the resources.
– Oh my God!
– Yeah, tell me more about the resources, Michelle.
– So, Murray’s come with his resources, I’ve brought my resources, and together it’s just out of this world. And I’m talking about all the legwork that you would have done, in terms of putting a list together, of different articles or publications, trying to find the editor’s details, or podcasts and trying to find the host and their contact details, we’ve done all of that for you. So really and truly, you just need to bring your A game to the meetings, and then you just find someone to help you go through them, because we’ve done all of that. We’ve got templates to be sending out to podcasts, we have email templates when you’re first introducing yourself to someone and new event organisers, we’ve got blogs, we’ve got templates on how to create your speaker one sheet. We’ve also got templates on how to create your speaker page on your website, because if you’re going to pitch yourself as a speaker, and speaking may not be your full-time job, the first thing they’re going to do is Google you. They’re going to want to see your speaker page. They wanna see your show, they wanna see your one sheet. They wanna see where you’ve spoken before. They wanna see testimonials, and all of that. We’ve got all the templates for you, so you just need to go out and just get the work in. That’s all you need to do.
– Absolutely. In fact, those resources are incredible. It will save you years, years of things that you have to do yourself, but we have done them for you. I want to do, we have a big shout-out to Cisca, shout-out to Katya, thank you very much for joining here on the live. Hey, hey, hey! Now, last question Michelle. Why should people join the Profile Builder programme if they have not joined it yet?
– Well, first and foremost, what are you waiting for? Because, if you’re running a business and no one knows who you are and what you do and how great you are, how are you going to get consistent leads of work, of business flowing through your business? That’s the first thing. The second thing, for 2020, you’ve got to play bigger. You have to show up bigger and you have to become more visible. The market is getting so crowded, so you need to work with somebody who’s done this, who lives it, who breathes it, like myself and Simone, and we can show you the steps to do that, to get there quicker. Yes, you can do it by yourself, but do you have all the templates? Do you have all the resources? Do you have me? And do you have Simone? No, you don’t. And, sure, I will keep you accountable as well. One of the things that we didn’t say is accountability. Because, yes, you can do this yourself but it’s very time-consuming, and if you haven’t got someone there texting you or emailing you, Have you finished that page? Or, Did you reach out to that speaker? Why have you not done it? You need someone just to be there. So, you know, I’m good with the carrot, but I’m also good with the stick. So you didn’t want to get on the wrong end of the stick. No, that’s too painful. So, yes, that’s a big part of the process. Of course you can do everything on your own, you can figure out everything on your own. The question is how long it’s gonna take.
– And the accountability and the structure that we have put in place is to keep you focused, so actually you get the results that you want instead of being distracted and taking different things on board. And just having this staying a dream of being in huge publications, or becoming relevant, or speaking at great events, instead of just being a dream, this becomes your day-to-day reality. And that’s what the Profile Builder is for, to help you get known, get paid, and make the impact that you want to make.
– Michelle, thank you very much for joining me today.
– Thank you.
– Here on this call. I wanna say hi to everyone as well who is still watching live, thank you very much for joining. There is a link here in the comments to join the waiting list, if you haven’t joined it yet. We are going to open officially on Friday, so make sure that, if you are not on the waiting list yet, you’re going to have something special. Which is going to be announced tomorrow, so stay tuned for that.
– Oh oh oh. So make sure you join the waiting list, come in, and I’ll see you in the Profile Builder. Michelle, thank you very much.
– Thank you! Thank you!