Welcome to episode #123 of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by https://gtex.org.uk/,
I am your host, Simone Vincenzi, The Experts Strategist, and this is the podcast for experts who want to become the ultimate authority in their niche while making an impact in the world.
Today I have the pleasure to Interview John Lee Dumas
John Lee Dumas is the founder & host of Entrepreneurs On Fire, an award-winning podcast where he interviews inspiring Entrepreneurs every Monday and drop value bombs every Thursday!
His goal with Entrepreneurs On Fire is to deliver the inspiration and strategies you need to start your own entrepreneurial journey and create the life you’ve always dreamed of.
JLD published over 2,000 interviews with incredible Entrepreneurs, including Tony Robbins, Seth Godin, Gary Vee, Barbara Corcoran, Tim Ferriss, and many more.
He is considered the king of podcasting by many and helps other entrepreneurs create their successful podcast too.
In this episode we talk about
- How to create a million $ podcast
- How to use the FIRE FUNNEL to get the clients you want
- How JLD was able to create the life and business he wants
Connect with John Lee Dumas
If you want to make 6 figures presentations and become awesome at Selling From The Stage without compromising your integrity I have created The Ultimate Selling From Stage Checklist.
The most comprehensive checklist to create a pitch that sell without being a douchebag.
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ https://www.facebook.com/groups/explodeyourexpertbiz/
Tool of the day: Clickfunnels ( Create a high-converting marketing funnel in minutes – 14 Days Free Trial.)
Also make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
– Hello, welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz show. Simone Vincenzi here, with the one and only John Lee Dumas. How are you doing John?
– You know, the sun is shining, the birds are singing down here in Puerto Rico, life is good.
– Perfect, so, I’m sure that, I don’t even know, there is a question that you ask to your guest every show, which is, are you ready to ignite? I’m not sure–
– Can’t you read behind me? It’s are you prepared to ignite?
– Are you prepared to ignite? I’m not even asking this question, because I know you are. For people that don’t know you, before we dive into podcasting, and how you became a podcasting legend, can you tell us a bit more about you and where you started?
– You know, I just started like all people do, I was born, went off to university, went off to the army, tried corporate finance, tried commercial real estate, tried law school, none of those things worked for me. So I just said, hey, let’s learn, let’s self educate, and that led me to podcast, just as a consumer, as a listener, and I just loved the medium. I really just enjoyed, I got it, that it was on-demand, you know, that it was free, that it was very targeted contents. And I said, why can’t I do this? And I looked for the niches that existed in the field, and nobody was doing a daily show interviewing entrepreneurs, so I said, I want to be that guy, and that was almost 2,000 episodes ago. So it’s been quite a journey.
– It definitely has been a journey. I actually watched the show reel that you put out on Facebook this morning,
– I saw that.
– Yeah, that’s pretty slick, and I absolutely love it, also knowing more about you and your journey, and how Entrepreneurs On Fire came about. So, for people that want to know about creating a podcast, I’ve watched your speech that you gave at Traffic and Conversion Summit, and it was awesome, and you were talking about funneling-up and funneling-down, and that was a really interesting concept. Can you explain the concept?
– Yeah, the concept is, you know a lot of people just think of, like, the open-V, where it’s like, how do I take people from the top of the funnel down the funnel, into where I make a sale at the bottom? But, they’re missing something, like how are they getting the people into the top of the funnel? What’s the quality of the people at the top of the funnel? Well, you actually can control that if you first funnel up, and how you funnel up is you’re creating that audience, you’re creating that top of the funnel, so then when you flip it over, and you do start funnelling down, then you have an audience that knows, that likes, that trusts you. So at Traffic and Conversion, I took people through my million dollar podcasting funnel, and it was just that very process of teaching people exactly how to grow an audience of people who knows you, who likes you, who trusts you, because you’ve been delivering free, valuable, consistent content. And guess what, maybe that’s through a podcast, maybe that’s through video, maybe that’s on Instagram, or social media in general, who knows? But you have to build that audience up first, so that when you start putting them down your funnel, they’re already bought in to who you are, and they trust you, and they’re looking for more.
– So you have a lot of people talk a lot about funnelling down, so you have the programme, and the next programme, and the next programme, and the next programme, and the next programme, and the next programme, and the next programme, and the next programme. But in the process, what are the steps of the funnelling up process? ‘Cause that’s the thing what caught most of my attention, and I think what was very different from what everyone is talking about all the time.
– Yeah, well it would be definitely hard to kind of condense that 45-minute presentation into the time that we have today, where I do go through every one of those steps, but I will say, people wanna go to my Facebook page, and kind of scroll down a little ways, I actually posted that entire presentation from Traffic and Conversion on my Facebook page. You just have to go down to, I think it’s like the early March timeframe, where I posted that entire 45-minute talk, where I go through that process, so I highly recommend it. But you know, it really just starts at the top, at the core, which is, what’s your idea? Like, what’s the idea that you are going to do to actually create free, valuable, and consistent content for your audience, that’s going to continue to take you down that funnel up method, getting more people, getting more value, adding, adding, adding, giving, giving, giving, that’s going to get you to the place and the point where you need to be, so that when you do flip that switch and start bringing people now down a funnel, they’re the right people. So, it starts with the idea. You know, a lot of people just jump, skip over that part, because, you know, they don’t think it’s as important as it is, but the reality is this is something that you should wanna be doing, not just for the next couple of weeks, but you know, for the next couple of years, three, five years down the road, and you’re still gonna want to be doing this thing. That idea is key, is critical, so take your time, go through the process, step-by-step, come up with that idea that really inspires and excites you, and then you can really start the rest of that process.
– And what I will do as well, I will put the link in the show notes, so then you guys don’t have to scroll down a lot of the newsfeed, but you’re gonna find all the whole talk at Traffic and Conversion Summit, which was very, very powerful.
– Yeah, I post a lot, so it would be probably, it would be buried.
– Exactly, exactly.
– We’ll let, we’ll let Vincenzi do the work.
– I have it saved. So it’s gonna be very easy
– Oh, cool.
– For me to find it. Eh yo, I save all good quality stuff. Now, let’s talk about the podcasting world right now, ’cause when you started, it was very different, 2,000 episodes ago. And how do you, did you see changed, and what do you think right now is really working?
– All right, listen, when I launched, it was great timing, you know. Not many people were podcasting, not many people were listening to podcasts either, so you know, pros and cons. But the competition wasn’t that extreme, and it really just allowed me, as an individual, to kind of do a little land grab, and just kinda have this kinda broad podcast, you know, you know, Entrepreneurs on Fire, E-O-Fire, where you know, I just interviewed entrepreneurs, and I talked about their journey, and like, it was very vague and very broad, but it worked ’cause it was valuable. You know, fast-forwarding to today, I’ve seen this, you know, continuous transition to the podcasts that win today, the podcasts that are really doing good things, are ones that are super unique, that really niched out into one area, into one topic. And they don’t have hundreds of thousands of listens. I mean, Entrepreneurs on Fire gets 1.3 million listens every single month. That’s a huge podcast. But you know, that’s a very broad audience at the same time. But the podcast that’s all about equestrian, you know, and riding horses, that has a thousand listens per episode, like, that is unbelievably huge, and so valuable, because it’s such a niche audience. Everybody that’s listening to that is in love with horses and riding, and it’s just perfect for that reason. Those podcasts are winning at a very high level. So that’s the key. Niche down into that one area that you can absolutely dominate.
– I know that you have exper– you have explored right now, one of your side projects, passion project, is another podcast.
– Can you tell a bit more about, because it is completely different from Entrepreneurs on Fire.
– 100% different, and it really does feed into what I was just talking about, where I was looking around and I was saying, like, what am I really excited about and passionate about? And I love reading audio biographies and autobiographies, and you know, I just love reading the works and the lives of people who have come before us. And so, I realised there was a big need out there, that you know, that wasn’t being served in the podcasting space, of really profiling incredible historical figures, who have just done great things, you know. My first episode was Alexander the Great, you know, right now I’m working on Napoleon. You know, people who have done great things in the past, and just making an audio biography of their life, and I brought in voice actors and sound effects, and you know, each episode is like, you know, two hours in length, you know, although I break them up into about 30-minute series, but the whole series itself is about a two-hour clip of Alexander the Great’s life, from beginning to end, like, you can listen to that episode and you’ll know what the life of Alexander the Great was, and it’s, that’s just exciting times, and that’s exciting stories, for me, because I love doing it, I learn so much, and the people that listen to it, they’re just so into it. And guess what? It’s not for everybody. In fact, it’s not for most people. But for those people that it’s for, it really is at a very high level.
– Absolutely. In fact, that’s why I absolutely love it. I absolutely loved it, and I listened to all the first series and the first episode of Alexander the Great, or different series. And because I was looking for this is podcast talking about audio biographies, and I couldn’t find it. Here we go. And I remember you mentioning this on an interview in a Facebook group with Johnny Cooper.
– Oh yeah.
– Which is one of our clients and one of our dear friends. And then I said, okay, yes, brilliant. I’m going to check it out immediately. Slick.
– Nice. What did you think about the voice actors and stuff?
– It’s so cool.
– Like I purposely–
– It’s so cool.
– I purposely made it like, corny, and a little bit like, funny, because I just didn’t want it to be too serious, like it’s not meant to be–
– It’s entertainment.
– Like serious, monotone.
– It’s entertainment.
– Yeah. It’s meant to be like, edutainment, where you are getting educated, ’cause you know, I’m taking you through the true, real stories of this, but at the same time, like, you’re getting entertained.
– Cool. I have two more questions and then we wrap up. Question number one is, what is working now in your business that every other expert in the niche should be doing?
– Really doing things that don’t scale. I mean, listen, this is reality, is that you know, I run a multimillion dollar a year business. You know, I have a podcast that gets millions of listens every single month. I don’t need to be having one-on-one conversations with my listeners and with my followers and fans, and whoever, but I do. I do because the things that I learn during those conversations are so scalable. Like a lot of people say, I could never take the time to have a one-on-one conversation with somebody just for the sake of this one-on-one conversation, because that’s my time, and you know, my time is money, and all these things. Well, those one-on-one conversations that I have, and that I do, give me the ideas to launch things like The Freedom Journal, The Mastery Journal, that I’ve now, you know, combined for over a million dollars in sales. Ideas for these other things and projects that I’m working on right now, from those conversations. So do things that don’t scale, have the one-on-one conversations. They’re absolutely critical.
– Perfect. Now to wrap up, I know that you have an incredible free course on how to start a podcast, and I have actually went through that, even if I already started a podcast, I decided, let me see what John has to say, and I loved it. So can you tell our listeners about where can they find this free podcasting course and the other things that you are creating as well?
– Sure. I made it very hard to remember. It’s freepodcastcourse.com. Freepodcastcourse.com. Go there, completely free, 15 days on how to create, grow, and monetize your podcast. And I just love this free model, you know, that’s why I do a daily podcast. It’s why I do webinars, and they’re all free, and I love doing it for those reasons, so I have a blast. And if you wanna head over to eofire.com, we have other free courses too, on webinars, on funnels, on goals, on productivity, just check them out under our free products tab, and prepare to ignite. Don’t get ready to ignite, but be prepared.
– Prepared. Prepare to ignite! Prepare to ignite. Fantastic, John. Thank you very much for the interview. It’s been a blast.
– It was great hanging out, brother. I’ll see you hopefully sometime soon.
– Indeed we will. Ciao.
– Take care.