Welcome to episode #113 of Explode Your Expert Biz Show, brought to you by https://gtex.org.uk/,
I am your host, Simone Vincenzi, The Experts Strategist, and this is the podcast for experts who want to become the ultimate authority in their niche while making an impact in the world.
Today I have the pleasure to Interview Jill Lublin
Jill Lublin is an international speaker on the topics of Radical Influence, Publicity, Networking, Kindness and Referrals. She is the author of 4 Best Selling books including Get Noticed…Get Referrals (McGraw Hill) and co-author of Guerrilla Publicity and Networking Magic. Her latest book, Profit of Kindness went #1 in four categories. Jill is a master strategist on how to position your business for more profitability and more visibility in the marketplace. She is CEO of a strategic consulting firm and has over 20 years experience working with over 100,000 people plus national and international media. Jill teaches Publicity Crash Courses as both live events and live webinars and consults and speaks all over the world.
In this episode we talk about
- Why you should have publicity as an expert.
- How to get free publicity.
- How to monetise your media opportunities.
Connect with Jill Lublin.
If you want to make 6 figures presentations and become awesome at Selling From The Stage without compromising your integrity I have created The Ultimate Selling From Stage Checklist.
The most comprehensive checklist to create a pitch that sell without being a douchebag.
To receive daily support in your coaching and speaking business, join our private Facebook Group EXPLODE YOUR EXPERT BIZ https://www.facebook.com/groups/explodeyourexpertbiz/
Tool of the day: HARO www.helpareporter.com (Get media opportunities).
Also make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don’t miss any other episode.
If you want to reach out to me with your questions, you can email me at Simone@gtex.org.uk that comes right to my inbox.
Resources To Help You Grow eXponentially:
- The Selling From Stage Ultimate Checklist – Learn how to close up to 50% of every audience.
- Sales Mastery – Triple your clients with a powerful sales conversation.
- eXplode Your Coaching Biz Membership – Join our inner community and get everything you need in one place to build your six figures coaching and speaking business.
– Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to another episode of Explode Your Expert Biz Show. I’m here with the one and only Jill Lublin. Today we are talking all things publicity. So buckle up because as you know, getting publicity is a great way to explode your expert business. So it’s going to be an incredible, incredible interview. Hi Jill, how are you doing today?
– I’m doing great, so good to be here with you.
– Fantastic. Now Jill I know that you’ve published many books, number one bestselling author in four categories. You’ve helped many entrepreneurs to get publicity with your tips and hacks and strategies. But before we go into that, why did you choose this topic? What’s your story?
– Ah, well you know I actually started my career in law school. I always wanted to be an attorney and I was excited about that, and then I got to law school. And for a highly creative mind like mine, it was actually quite difficult. So I thought about what could I do to make this more interesting? And I started working in the music business for music business attorneys which helped me really start my path which is, the path of promotion and publicity. I just really discovered that that was my true talent and it kind of naturally led me down that path and I opened up my own PR agency. And then I was very blessed to get tapped on the shoulder to write my first book Guerrilla Publicity and that’s really how it all started.
– That’s brilliant. And throughout this journey, I’d say what was the happiest moment, if you have to think about your career and all the things that you have achieved, what was the happiest moment or the moment when you were the most proud of yourself?
– Ah, well there are many to be honest. I think honestly when I opened the box on my first books, Guerrilla Publicity and opened that box it was like, birthing a child, it takes a while. It actually took longer than most children but I think that for me was really really special and I was very proud to hold it. And then I remember going to Barnes and Noble the major bookstore for one of my first book signings and they had a big poster of me and I went wow! It felt really good. And I think that for me was my proudest moment.
– And how about your lowest moment, the moment where you were saying oh my God, why am I doing this? I wanna just quit! I want to put my blankets over my head stay in bed with my hot water bottle and not even say hi to anyone! What was that moment for you?
– You know honestly, being an entrepreneur has lots of those moments where you just have to force yourself to get out of bed and do the next thing. I mean cash flow, when my cash flow is low those are low moments you know? And I think every entrepreneur deals with that. So I would tell you my whole career is a bit of a roller coaster, ups and downs, lots of beautiful and blessed things happening and then there’s moments where it’s like, I don’t know how I’m going to create this. I don’t know where the capital is coming from. That’s probably my low moments when I’m really not sure how my big vision will be capitalised.
– Any particular episode that comes to mind where you were able to turn something that seemed like a very low moment into a victory?
– That’s interesting ’cause even as you asked, I either blocked ’em out I try to be an optimist all the time. I mean I can tell you there’s lots of moments where I’m like why am I doing this, what am I doing? Well here’s an interesting thing. I remember even up to last year, it was toward the end of the year and two people hadn’t paid me what they said they were going to, I spoke on some major stages and I didn’t get paid for my services. And I’m like oh my God do I do? And then honestly somebody else, with my new book Profit of Kindness had proposed and I had contracted for some services for him and he didn’t deliver the services as promised. So I was out about $12,000 at the almost end of the year which is not a good time to be out that much money.
– And then all of a sudden I got asked to speak on Lisa Nichols stage who’s a wonderful author and entrepreneur and major movement–
– Yeah she’s great.
– In this transformational world, she is really great. And I got asked to speak on her stage and all of a sudden all of this cash flow flowed in and everything relieved. And I think that for me was a pretty intense moment when I had a new book out and someone didn’t deliver on services, I was very disappointed, very sad. And especially with the excitement of a new book, and frankly it did well anyway. But I think that was a disappointing moment and plus a lot of money out and I was able to recover that. I think that would probably be my latest one that I can remember.
– Thank you very much for sharing Jill, I really appreciate it. The reason why we ask this question is because we want to know all the entrepreneur, the expert, behind the topic or the tools or the strategies that they share because everyone has a story, everyone has ups and downs. And we have a lot of, our listeners that a few of them are starting out, many have been already in business for a while and we can definitely relate and learn from each other. And also like I say, hey you know what? I get where you’re coming from. I’ve been there last month too. Or oh yeah I can understand it but then it kind of reinforces us and supports us. That’s also why we invite people to join our Facebook Group which is Explode Your Expert Biz ’cause then you can keep going with the conversation and then you start with the incredible experts like yourself Jill. The question that I have for you is, talking about publicity, why publicity? Why so crucial for experts to be seen?
– Well I’ll tell you something, you know in 24 years of doing publicity, it is one of the most powerful strategies to get you more visibility. The truth is if you’re doing great work but nobody knows about you what good is that? So I’m really big on using, I call them guerrilla publicity strategies, simple strategies to get your name out, increase visibility and enlarge your audience. And that’s really important. And so I think as we look to that, enlarging your audience, creating more of that visibility, more credibility, more trust in the marketplace. You want people to do business with you and if they read about you, hear about you, read a blog or listen to a podcast, all of a sudden your trust factor has really increased. And that’s good publicity.
– Absolutely, good publicity, let’s talk about publi– Quick question on publicity, you just mentioned good publicity, there is this saying that there is no such a thing as bad publicity, all publicity is publicity. What would you say now that you are a publicity expert?
– I would say I agree with that maybe 70%. The truth is, the public’s memory is very short but I don’t want anyone listening to this podcast doing anything that would give them bad publicity. And if for some reason you get it, realise the good news is that most peoples’ memories are short. And so with that we want always good publicity to be present for you and we always want your best foot forward. But if for some reason, the bad publicity happens, just know the good news is, I don’t think it will be remembered forever except if you’re very, very famous.
– Brilliant, thank you very much for sharing that. Now, let’s go into some more strategic tips. You mentioned many times Guerrilla Publicity. What are some of the tips that also you share in your book that people can use in terms of Guerrilla Publicity?
– Yeah so a really important thing is to know that your message is what’s first. And so in the message we want to look at creating and solving problems so you know the problem most entrepreneurs have is they get too focused on what they offer versus what is possible for others to take in about the service. So I think it’s really important that you as an entrepreneur focus on the problems out in the marketplace, the problems that your client has and speak in you language. And then, I like people to give three solutions, and that’s really a great Guerrilla Publicity tip that keeps things really simple is give three real solutions. What is it that people need to know that will help them and be focused on that. That really supports others to get their word out there and gets you more prospects and more visibility. The other thing truthfully is you always need what I call a script and what I just gave you was the actual formula for that script meaning you need to know what to say when you meet people and how to say it effectively.
– So you need to have a script, you need to give three things, and also you make sure that you always, you mentioned to always speak in you. You’re always using you.
– I’ve seen a lot of people in particular in our industry, the expert industry, that we are taught to share your story. And I found that many people talk about I I I I and now you are saying talk about you you you you.
– Yes exactly.
– Can you expound on this? Can you put some clarity in my mind please?
– Yes exactly and you know listen, I’m all about story, I think story’s beautiful and brilliant and one of my gifts is helping people tell their story, but I want it integrated into the message. And when you’re being interviewed, great place to tell your story but one of the ways I want you to tell your story is to what I call use everything you’ve got. So one of my specialties is I help people get book deals and I help people get foreign rights deals who are self-published. Anyway, one of my clients for instance, she is a self-published author. So here’s a great example. This is called use everything you’ve got. And she’s from Haiti. Now President Trump said a really mean thing about some countries in Africa and Haiti. And I immediately pinged her, even though we were doing a very different story and I said this is your story. You’re from Haiti, so we created a story that was, what did we call it? Haitian immigrant, I just had to remember for a moment, Haitian immigrant, successful American, and that story got her onto NPR and local TV and local radio, that story got her even more than her new book out you know, about leaving corporate America and how to transition appropriately.
– And her how to for others. So isn’t that a wonderful thing? That’s what I’m talking about.
– Absolutely so there is a trend here that I’m spotting in this case study which is to use, that’s what you did with your client, you used something that was current. You used something that already was getting people attention, something in the public eye to then link with the story to help your client get publicity.
– That’s exactly right, I want you to pay attention to what’s happening in world and current events. Doesn’t matter where you live, there’s something in the world, something in your community that might be happening that you can fit into. So here’s another great example. A psychologist I worked with, he’s an international client of mine and we were doing a story about how to have less stress. He was using publicity to grow his practise and he was smart enough to know that if he got more publicity, he’d have more clients. And so we were doing a great story about less stress and how to deal with it and then what happened was Robin Williams died. You know, we lost a great talent there. And I immediately called up his name is Ganz, and I said now is your moment in the world, in the marketplace. And through specific media coaching for him, he was able to get on CNN.com. And he doesn’t even live in the United States right? He was able to get media in his own local newspaper and then he got onto lots of radio shows and more magazines and podcasts and blogs and all kinds of places and spaces that he would not have just gone as a, shall we say local psychologist building his practise.
– Yes, yes.
– That’s what I want you to hear, expand your marketplace.
– ‘Cause there are a lot of people that would just go and talk about their strict topics so, and I interviewed other people in this podcast that we’re helping with PR, with publicity but that’s something that we never talked about and that’s what really is capturing my interest to understand more about how does this process work? I’m Italian, let’s give an example. I’m Italian and I live here in London. Now if you know anything about Italy, we are having a very critical situation in terms of politically, economically, is very dark and the results are this big stereotype of Italian moving away from Italy and they are very lazy, they don’t wanna work, they don’t wanna do much. So how would someone like me, so then people can understand could use this story or use this trend to help also give another message and the same time get more publicity?
– Yeah so what I would do, and you live in London right?
– I live in London.
– Yeah so, by the way I’m gonna be in London at the London Book Fair helping clients get international book deals! We’ve got to talk about that!
– That’s brilliant, when?
– I’m gonna be there April ninth, coming right up.
– Fantastic, so I’ll make sure that this episode goes live before that.
– Thank you.
– So then people can connect with you.
– Thank you, I so appreciate that.
– My pleasure.
– Yes that’s wonderful. And what I would love to do is address that and say that what you can be is really like a spokesperson for Italy. I mean no maybe you’re not a government official but you are an Italian person who can comment on this. So the truth is media always is looking for people who are resources and can comment on things. My Haitian immigrant who wrote a self-published book, she commented on one comment that President Trump put out right? Now so you wanna be looking for things to comment on, things to focus on, this is a particular issue, well let’s focus on it. Let’s talk about it, and I think that would be really special. So one thing I wanna recommend to everyone is get on Google Alerts and start putting in keywords that you can talk about.
– So Italian issues would be one of yours or Italy or you know like that and. I don’t always talk about marketing. Sometimes I speak about being a woman, sometimes I speak about disaster PR, sometimes I speak about other issues just because I can.
– And that at the same time builds your authority and position in the market because the more people see you then the more people will research about you and then find out then what you really do.
– OK so now let’s say I have my Google Alerts set up. And now I want to contact this journalist. Now I know that there are, depending from how big the platform is, there are easier and more difficult ways to get them and definitely to go through my local blogger and going to CNN is different ways to get booked. So how could I contact, now that I have the story now that I know what to say, how could I contact big agency or big media companies for them at least consider me?
– Yeah usually you go through the producer of the particular show for example. Or you submit it to an editor for example of the major newspapers, blogs post, usually there’s an email for consideration like people I have who are my clients are writing for the Huffington Post for example or for other places and there are really literally places for editorial submissions. And that’s how I usually have them going in. A little bit standard ways. However, when you get a Google Alert, you see there’s a particular source, a particular journalist who’s writing about this, then go after them and say hey here’s who I am, here’s what I’ve got to offer. One of my clients out of Utah, she’s a wealth mastery expert and I had her call Good Day Utah, it’s called something else specifically, but the morning shows right?
– Yeah yeah yeah.
– Everybody in every part of the world has the morning shows and I had her call specifically the producer of that morning show and say hey, it’s January 2018 and here’s some great wealth mastery tips for making 2018 your best financial year yet. And they thought, oh I like that. And they immediately put her on a seven minute segment and she of course did so well ’cause she knew exactly what to say, that they’ve already invited her back.
– That’s so brilliant, that’s so brilliant. So now we have the full picture and I think that is the biggest takeaway for our audience right now for our listeners is then to make sure that you follow those steps because what Jill said can get you in a lot of media. Now I’ve been lucky enough to be featured in many media and I’m focusing a lot on it because I know about how important publicity is. That’s why I write for Forbes and the Huffington Post and so on. But it is a conscious effort. As Jill said, it’s a conscious effort and it needs to be a priority because then immediately people see you around, you can charge higher prices.
– Exactly, it uplevels your expertise, your power, the perception of you and the truth is it’s all about perception so congratulations to you on creating that visibility in the marketplace.
– Thank you, I really appreciate it. It took a lot of work.
– Of course, Martin, it always does. But the truth for everybody is you have to get focused on it.
– Absolutely, it’s worth it.
– And you don’t have to do everything that both of us are doing, but take baby steps and be consistent and persistent in the marketplace.
– Brilliant, fantastic. Now can we stay for a couple more minutes, two more minutes?
– Literally two minutes.
– Literally two minutes. OK one more question which is lifting the veil in your business, what is the number one way for you to get clients that you use personally to get clients?
– Well come on I have to be a little bit partial here but I think the number one way to get clients is the power of publicity. And I said it a little bit earlier in the podcast and that is I have seen it to be one of the most powerful strategies to bring you more prospects, more clients, more familiarity, more trust in the marketplace, higher ROI, ’cause when people see you, recognise you, they immediately trust you. You immediately get more credibility and kinda just inbuilt recognition that, well any kind of advertising, any kind of direct mail, any kind of other kinds of marketing could not buy you. People immediately trust you like you and know you because you’ve gotten public relations.
– Fantastic, thank you very much for sharing now Jill, how can people get in touch with you? How can people reach out to you or buy your book, your new book Profit of Kindness?
– Thank you so much. If you go to JillLublin.com and there’s lots of Ls in there and maybe you can put it in the show notes.
– Thank you, JillLublin.com, please you can see how to work with me, I teach publicity crash courses all across the world and online Zoom as a webinar. I can help you out that way. Let me know if you have a great book idea. I can help you get book deals or foreign rights deals. And also, you can send us an email it’s wonderful, it’s email@example.com. We’d love to connect with you, we’d love to help you in any way and yes my latest book, go check it out. Profit of Kindness.
– Fantastic. Thank you very much Jill it was a beautiful interview, thank you for staying these two extra minutes. Now I’ll let you go because I know that you have something immediately right now so thank you thank you thank you. I absolutely loved the interview.
– Thank you for having me.
– You’re welcome, my pleasure, bye!